Can I use the extension cord?

hpdad

Apr 4, 2013
South California
Question about connection:

I have intex sand filter and SW system.
The outside outlet is GFCI.
The place i want to put them is bit far away from gfci outlet. Can I use extension core (12 gauge x 25ft) with the power surge (for more connections)? I know the manual recommends to plug directly to outlet.

Not to sound like I'm questioning judgement here. But if the extension cord is the same or greater thickness as the original cord, what would the safety risks be..? I'm only asking because I'm not completely sure why. Is it due to the length the electricity would be traveling through a cord exposed to the elements?

The risk is that the cord is sitting on the ground, in a puddle, and then someone steps in that same puddle.
If the connection point is on the ground that's a danger, if the cord gets some cracks in it and water gets in that's dangerous.
Water can splash out on it.

I know someone with an oval AGP that uses a heavy gauge extension cord on the ground, personally I think it's crazy.
Think of people's safety, especially if you have kids, wire it properly.

It's that whole propensity for damage thing. Whip out the weed whacker, stumble on it when carrying the beer, Get happy mowing, and then there's the electricity and water thing that cramar mentioned. Well you get the picture.

cramar said:
Would you want your kid stepping on it, in a puddle of water, even with a GFCI?

Not trying to say this is the proper way to do it, I was just clarifying that a GFCI is in theory designed to handle this.

I do have my cover pump plugged into an extension cord during the winter which I taped the plugs together then put heat shrink tubing over, I don't leave it "in a puddle" though.

bobby1017 said:
cramar said:
Would you want your kid stepping on it, in a puddle of water, even with a GFCI?

I do have my cover pump plugged into an extension cord during the winter which I taped the plugs together then put heat shrink tubing over, I don't leave it "in a puddle" though.

You can make this more weather proof by wrapping the plugs with vulcanizing tape, the electrical tape, followed by scotch coat and this will give you some more protection from the elements. We do this for outside connections on antennas and other different type of connections on our ships we have in the coast guard.

I agree w/ everyone else ditch the cord, run the electrical so it is safer for everyone and protects you equipment as well. What I mean by that is you now have a dedicated electrical run in conduit that will keep it out of the elements if done correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank You all for the responds guys,

It turns out that the cords on the sand filter and SW are long enough to place where I wanted them.

To be more clear, if I used the ext. cord, I would use the 2" PVC to contain it. My original question was about the current if it safe to use the ext. cord

Edit to add another question (didn't want to create another thread to crowd the forum :))

The water return from the SW system to the pool through 2" pipe. Because some of modification, I cut it in half then install 1" pvc (Tee), then back to 2" pipe before water returns back to the pool. Is there any problem with flow?

I want to make sure it doesn't hurt the SW

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.