Lowes Muriatic Acid and Salt Pool

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
Was looking on the Lowes website to see if they still have muriatic acid so I could go by and pick some up before I open the pool for the season. Noticed it was a different brand than I remember from last year - Crown is what they are carrying I guess. Checked specs to see what concentration each version is (one around 15% and the one I was looking for around 31%) and noticed that both say they are not compatible with salt pools. ?

Am I missing something? I admit, I'm a little rusty in my pool-think since it's been a few months. :hammer:

That would be news to me ... I can not think what one has to the with the other ... especially since even non-SWG can have a lot of salt in them just from using chlorine.

EDIT: Where did you see that incompatibility mentioned? I am not seeing anything like that.
EDIT2: Oh, I see it in the Specs. I think someone does not know what they are talking about. It even says on the bottle for use in pools ... not sure how salt would change that.

Lowe's and Home Depot are little hard to follow when it comes to MA.

In my area, Lowe's usually has their "everyday" MA which is the Crown stuff at 15% and in the garden/pool center they will have the pool version (usually Kemtek or similar) in a low concentration also 15%.

Home Depot has the same setup but oddly they have a third type in the garden center that is the 31%. I prefer this one as well as it takes less to make adjustments and here is the silly part...they are the same price for 2 gal. Clearly 31% is a better value too.

Oddly, HD doesn't put the stronger stuff on their website but they'll list the weak stuff. My guess it has do with hazard level. The weak stuff is classified as a "consumer commodity" just like the 10% bleach, but the strong stuff has a corrosive hazard label.

If I want strong stuff and HD is out, I have to go to my local (non-national chain) pool store. Price is pretty comparable. ~ $5-6 /gal

My local Kroger store carried the same stuff as HD does. Same brand and 31.45% strength but they sell them as individual bottles. It's also cheaper than HD, bottle to bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.