Help trying to choose a new pump....

Apr 23, 2013
Hey guy's...

I'm new to the forum... What a great site!

I currently own a 1HP single speed Hayward Super Pump (bought it as a kit with a EC65A DE Filter), it's about 10 years old and I'm thinking of replacing it. It runs fine, except for the fact that it becomes really hot (run it between 6-8 hours a day). I'm wondering if I should replace it with the same model or go for a 2 or variable speed pump and increase to 1.5 HP. I want to stick with Hayward and have been satisified with the single speed super pump.

Thoughts on going to a 2 or variable speed... Are they more energy efficient than single speed? Will I gain anything going from a 1 HP to 1.5 HP? Will I need to upgrade to a 2 speed timer? I only have 110V at he pool and the outlet is about 100'from my house, so upgrading to 230V will be a pain but doable.

Pool is 16X32 with 1 skimmer and two returns. Deep end is 8' / Shallow is 3.5'.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The only thing you will gain by going to a larger pump is a lighter wallet ;)

Cheapest option would be to just get a new 2-speed motor and install it on your existing pump. You could put a manual switch on it and leave it on low speed and only switch to high speed when you need to vacuum or backwash.

You have a robot right? So you would not even have to worry about automatically switching speeds to run a suction cleaner.

One thing to confirm: Is your current motor wired for 115V or 230V? As most of the 2-speed motors are 230V.

Increasing the size of a pump is rarely a good idea unless you need the higher flow rate. Larger pumps are nearly always less efficient than smaller pumps and the smaller the better. So you can take that off your list straight away.

Next, going with a two speed or variable speed should save on energy costs over the life of the pump. Which is the best option depends on several factors. In most parts of the country were electrical rates are low (~$0.10/kwh), a two speed pump makes more sense and will have a lower lifetime cost than a variable speed pumps. In areas such as California, a variable speed can make more sense but it depends on the size of the pool and which tier you are in.

A two speed timer is a good idea if you will need to run part of the day on higher speeds. High speed improves skimming and sometimes is necessary with a suction side or pressure side cleaner.

Also, you can find some two speed pumps in 115v if necessary but there is a lot more selection in the 230v range.

The Superpump is a good pump and also comes in a two speed. Unfortunately it is 230v. They do make a two speed motor that will fit your current pump and run on 115v if you want to go that route but you need to make sure the current pump's wet end is in fairly good shape.

It should but it depends on the type of jet and the plumbing used to feed the jets. Have you picked out the jets?

I was going to go with the Jandy Deck jets and place them in a garden area beside my pool. I was going to T off the return line with 1 1/2 " and then run individual lines to the jets in 3/4.

Thanks,

Sean

Those deck jets don't require much in the way of flow rate (5 GPM per jet) so it should be fine. However with just Tee you have no way to adjust the flow rate to the jets vs the regular returns which could be an issue. You would be better off if you have a 3-way valve to adjust the flow between the returns and the jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.