Energy efficient pump upgrade

hulla

Apr 24, 2013
I currently have a single speed Whisperflo 1 HP pump and am thinking of upgrading to something more energy efficient. What should be most cost effective; 2 speed motor, Marathon Impower, or Pentair Intelliflo? Or other better option?

Stats:
20k gallon pool, no spa, de filter
paying $0.32 per kwh (California)
running pump 4 hours/day off season and 6-7 hours in summer
also have separate polaris 280 with booster pump running 1-2 hrs/day

Thanks,
Mike

Well, you do not appear to have any need for high flow or many different flow rates for different options.

The cheapest up front cost would be to just get a 1HP 2-speed motor and use your existing wet end. By running on low except when you need to backwash, you will save most of the electricity savings. You would likely also need to put in a manual switch to select the speed.

I think the Intelliflo lines right up with the plumbing for the Whisperflo, but it will cost significantly more up-front. You do have high power cost, so it is hard to say how long it would take for the increased electric savings to offset the extra ~$400 for the VS pump over just the 2-speed motor.

I don't know anything about the Marathon.

Thanks for the replies. If it makes any difference to any answers, I also plan on getting the IC40 swg.

Few more questions...

Will there be any issues using a new Intelliflo pump without an Intellitouch/Easytouch control system? I don't care about indoor controls since my pool is relatively simple. I just want to set a timer. But when the booster pump for the polaris turns on from the mechanical timer, will the Intelliflo need to increase flow rate too? If so, will the timer for the Intelliflo allow me to do this? I want to just set it and forget it for the summer and adjust timers again after the season is over.

I put a Centurion e-plus B2982 1hp/.13hp on my 1-hp WhisperFlo. Works great and costs a little over $300 with seal kit and shipping/tax. Took me less than an hour to swap the motor. You can get an on-board hi-lo switch for another $30.

The formula in the "Hydraulics 101" sticky suggests that I can save an additional $200 per year with the Intelliflo over the 2 speed 1hp.

So, I just ordered the Intelliflo. I'm hoping I can just leave it on low power even when the Polaris is on. I can then order the swg with or without the easytouch depending on how the pump works out. But first I have to read more about this Liquidator thing...

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.