New member, new pool, SWG question before filling pool

Apr 24, 2013
Parma / Michigan
First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post.
We am currently building a pool and could use a little advice from our new friends on TFP.

Our current plan is to install liner and fill pool this Saturday (April 27), but I am not sure how long it will be before I have my SWG up and running.

What should I add - or not add - to the water during this time, which could be 1 or 2 weeks?

Thank you for your help.

Dave - Michigan

Welcome to TFP!

If you haven't already, order a good test kit today! :)

Anything that you need to add is all depending on the test results except the initial dose of chlorine. You need to add about 2 ppm's worth of chlorine as soon as it's full enough to run the pump and again each day until you get some CYA in it. You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how much that is.

Tell us a lot more about the pool? Size, indoor/outdoor, above or below ground, equipment, etc.

Thanks for the responce. I am starting to realize just how much I need to learn in a short period of time. I have been concentrating on building the pool - now I need to take care of it.

Any suggestions on a good test kit?

Sounds like I better start reading your pool school.

We are installing a 20x40 inground, steel walls, vinyl liner, Pro Logic SWG, Hayward Filter & Pump, Diving Board, Slide, Hayward Propane heater plus Central Boiler with heat exchanger.

My wife and kids (3) are so excited they can't sleep. :)

See the link in my signature for a comparison of the test kits we recommend. I suggest the TF-100 is a better value and a SpeedStir makes the testing even easier.

Since you are going SWG, it would be a good idea to get a test for salt as well.

Just reinforcing what JB said, get the TF-100 and a speedstir and a salt test kit. A lot of people use salt test strips but I have a drop based kit and I don't even have a swg.

As a side note My salt level is 1400 ppm right now. I say that, to say that you should check your salt level before you put the salt in as it's almost never zero.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.