Draining Pool from Baquacil

May 6, 2008
Hello, I am new here to the forum. I am fed up with Bacquacil, and have decided to totally drain my pool and start over with chlorine/bleach. The pool is green and I'm in the process of draining it right now. I have a 20 foot round AGP. Finances are tight so this forum and talking about BBB has interested me. I plan to order the test kit suggested but in the mean time would like to just pick up some bleach to dump in the water once I get it refilled which should be in the next 24 hours or so. Could you suggest an amount to put in and any other tips you might have for me. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

At the beginning you should add enough bleach to bring FC up by 2 ppm once each evening. A 20 foot round that is 4 feet deep would be about 9400 gallons, so 5 cups of 6% bleach each evening. Once you get some CYA into the water the amount of bleach to use will change.

You will want to raise CYA to between 30 and 50. You could start with 2 lbs of stabilizer/CYA. You will probably need more after that. It is good to raise CYA in a couple of steps to avoid overshooting. It is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it.

Everything else will depend on your water test results. Also, if I guessed wrong about the water depth the quantities will be a little different.

Thanks for your reply

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

At the beginning you should add enough bleach to bring FC up by 2 ppm once each evening. A 20 foot round that is 4 feet deep would be about 9400 gallons, so 5 cups of 6% bleach each evening. Once you get some CYA into the water the amount of bleach to use will change.

You will want to raise CYA to between 30 and 50. You could start with 2 lbs of stabilizer/CYA. You will probably need more after that. It is good to raise CYA in a couple of steps to avoid overshooting. It is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it.

Everything else will depend on your water test results. Also, if I guessed wrong about the water depth the quantities will be a little different.

Reply: I just ordered the TFP Test kit. I understand CYA to be stabilizer. Could you suggest where to get that? I have a Lowe's and Walmart available, or pool stores. Thank you so much. You were correct in size although I do have a bottom drain so the pool is a bit deeper in the middle.

CYA/stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid is sometimes available at Lowes or WalMart in the pool area, but they tend not to put much effort into keeping it in stock. Any pool store is sure to have it but the prices are usually higher than at Lowes or WalMart.

More Questions

Hello again,
I tried and tried last night to drain the pool lower but could not get it totally drained. There was still about 3-4 inches of water. Most of the green was settled there. I got in and brushed it all around to loosen it from bottom, and hopefully this was not a mistake but I began refilling it last night. It is almost done about another six inches to the skimmer. I purchased 4 gallons of 6% bleach and 2 - 3 lb bottles of Stabilizer CYA. The pool is still greenish and has stuff settled on the bottom.
I am not sure what to do at this point.
1) Should I begin running it with the cartridge in?

2) Should I put in more than the 5 cups of bleach now that I have the CYA?

3) Should I put in the CYA right away?

I will probably not have my test kit until Tues. or Wed. Thanks for the help.
lorsell

I would wait on the CYA until you get the water cleared up. You will still have a small residual of Baqua in there, since you could not completely drain. Also the green says algae. Use Jason's calculator in my signature and add bleach to 15ppm, and test and get it back there as often as possible.

Are the cartridges you mention new or old? if they are old, put them in there, as they will help filter out the baqua and dead algae. You will need to get new ones soon, after your 'conversion' is complete.

You could use the dilution method as a stop-gap until you get your TF-100... take 1 part pool water and 2 parts distilled (or other dechlorinated) water. Use an OTO kit (the little cheapy one at wal mart that measures pH and Chlorine is ok for now.) Test with that water, and multiply your result by 3.

When your chlorine holds at 15 overnight, maybe for a couple nights, you will need to change your cartridges. THen put in your CYA.

Welcome to TFP!

Things are improving

Hello,
Just writing again to thank you for your help. I am on day two of adding bleach to my water, yesterday looked pretty bleak but today I am seeing some results. I am hoping my test kit arrives tomorrow it has been shipped so I did not spend the money on another one. I poured the last of 4 gallons of bleach I have been feeding my pool since yesterday. I have added about every four hours and cleaned and switched cartridges at that time also. Tonight I can actually see the bottom but still with a green shade in water. I hope to vacuum to waste tommorow and get rid of the algea t the bottom. I will post my readings once I get the kit, for direction. I am reserving a new never used cartridge for my new soon to be sparkling water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.