NEW POOL INSTALL FEW ?

Apr 24, 2013
aurora pools in lexington ky will be installing our new 15x30x54 wilbur quest pool may 13th i purchased the pool and install for 7000k this includes alum pool/ 9 inch resin top rails/ 25 mil designer liner ,2hp 2speed pump, 400lb sand filter,grand entry steps, electric aoutomatic cleaner, solar cover, startup chem, and maintenance kit. the installer will have to level yard with bobcat highest spot would be around 3footalong one side of pool. they are using vermiculite base with pool cove and gorilla bottom . i plan on putting deck all around pool 6 foot on sides 8 foot on ends with railing and steps. another 4800k which makes a total of $11,800 does this sound about right on price. all i will have to do is put water in it and swim. any thought or suggestions good or bad deeply appreciated thx anthony

yeah i fugured i am paying around 2500 more but everything is going to be done professionaly correct and best of all i dont have to do it. what about the pump size and filter combo. also would you guys put deck above toprails. that way no one would ever be standing directly on them just jumping in and sitting off of the deck thx

thx for the welcome. and your answers. what is yor opinion on deck above toprails. i plan on getting a solid winter cover and attaching it to deck somehow. i have 2labs and a germanshepherd dont want to have to go diving for a dog in winter lol

I really don't have an opinion on the rails. Mine is below the rail with about 1/8" clearance so I can get the winter cover on and weighted down. However our top rails are walk-on rated so that makes a difference.

wildwilly1 said:
all i will have to do is put water in it and swim.
And maintain the water quality!!

Did you get a proper drop based test kit like recommneded in Pool School?
I don't know what chemicals are included but you may not want to even use them, if you haven't read pool school make sure to do that several times.
The gorilla pad is not a cushion pad, it is a 1/16" geotextile fabric used solely to prevent tears in the liner from rocks, roots, glass, nut grass, etc. It's not a big deal to use it even if not warranted for your site but just be aware that it provides no cushion value at all and the liner will probably show the crease in the fabric where it was folded - mine does.

The deck over the rail is personal preference, you just need a realistic way to service the pool (get the rail off) if you need to.

Good luck, hope it all goes well!

If you have a choice of vermiculite over sand I'd go with the vermiculite. It will pack harder than sand. You won't get foot prints to trap dirt.

Just my 0.02 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I moved into a house last summer with an above ground pool and the deck was built over the top rails. It seems the deck has settled ever so slightly so the gap between the deck and the top rail was too narrow to pull my winter cover through when I closed. Not a huge deal, just had to remove a couple of boards and cut them down before re-attaching. Not a terrible inconvenience by any means, but there will probably come a time where you need to do something similar or lift a top rail to replace a liner or something like that.

Have you thought about storage for all the pool accessories? Perhaps under your deck....i've seen some neat below deck storage before with hinged lids and pistons to hold them open......

Out door shower head?

What about maintenance under your deck? gravel? pine straw , nothing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.