Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Re: Difference between pump pipe size 2" and port size 1.5"

I think the pump is designed to use a 1.5" male threaded fitting. Then you use a "reducer" to go up to the 2" pipe.

Not EVERYTHING has to be 2" for there to be an advantage.

BTW, no idea which pump you actually ordered or where you see "pipe size of 2" but port size of 1.5"" ... wait no I see the confusion ... one of them is a typo. Does not really matter either way.

Ahh typo, that explains it and sorry it was for model Hayward 1HP Super Pump, 2-Speed - SP2607X102S

Was there more value of changing the multi port valve on the filter to 2" from 1.5"? Or would using a reducer there have been the same thing?

I took my chances there anyhow because at times when I turned on my pump I would see water with very high pressure spray out the top of the valve mount, so I figured it must be broken and needed replacing anyways, I supposed it could have ended up being a seal and not the valve but I was hoping on the value of the 1.5 to 2 change.

I probably still have a chance to cancel my order on the 2" valve if I cancelled it tonight.

Probably makes little difference on the valve. But if the one you have is leaking, then replacing is easiest fix.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I ended up paying about $50 more for the 2" replacement multiport filter valve over the 1.5" one but I might still be able to change my order but I don't mind leaving it but no point if it doesn't bring much value, I dunno.

I just did the same exact thing when moving my equipment pad 24' further, everything went from 1.5" poly to 2" sch 40 and when I got to the pad I decided "if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly" so I replaced the multiport with the 2" version and the pump strainer basket housing with the 2" version. Why go through all that work with the "big pipe" just to restrict it down to a tiny little 1.5" inlet and outlet? Just my wacky way of thinking

wtrtoys said:
I just did the same exact thing when moving my equipment pad 24' further, everything went from 1.5" poly to 2" sch 40 and when I got to the pad I decided "if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly" so I replaced the multiport with the 2" version and the pump strainer basket housing with the 2" version. Why go through all that work with the "big pipe" just to restrict it down to a tiny little 1.5" inlet and outlet? Just my wacky way of thinking

I'm loving and hating your post at the same time, I just emailed Hayward tech support to see what parts I would need to convert my new unopened, uninstalled, 1HP 2-speed pump to 2" from 1.5" (SP2607X102S).

Total overkill? I need to see some sort of equation so I can stop this madness, but I was thinking exactly like you, I'm taking the necessary steps to have the plumbing redone to 2", so why not make it perfect, but it would be a pity if at the end of the day all I had to do was change the plumbing and just use reducers on the filter and the pump and difference would be truly negligible.

Re: Re-doing plumbing 1.5" to 2" Reducers vs changing fittin

The efficiency difference between 1.5" and 2" for any single fitting is very very small. However, the more fittings you change and the longer you end up owning the resulting setup the more it adds up. My rule of thumb is that it isn't worth replacing working plumbing to use larger fittings, but any time you are replacing a section anyway you might as well replace it with a 2" version.

I feel for ya brother and it is probably absolutely silly to worry about. But when I held up that 2" union up to that 2" - 1.5" reducer I just cringed and said screw it and started shopping for the 2" versions. Like you I had a brand new 1.5" multiport so I exchanged that fora 2" version for about a $50 difference in cost, then I found a strainer housing for the pump on ebay for $132 new and hopefully can sell mine for maybe $50. So my thought process was 1 less bottle of scotch this month and $80 bucks got me 2" everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Replacement housing 2" for pump (SPX1620AA) on ebay is $160, just....can't.....do....it.

Too bad Hayward falsely advertised these in their brochure as 2", not that I considered it at the time, it wasn't a deciding factor.

Now I just have to figure out how to break my current housing so I can replace it with the above.

The guy that is going to do my plumbing said that he doesn't see the poiny of why I changed the multiport on my 1.5" sand filter to 2" since the internal plumbing 1.5" on the filter even if I swap out the multi port, so much resistance on 2" locally, no one does it, don't know why, I would think every little bit helps.

Is there a good technical reply I can give back?

Every little bit of resistance to flow you can get rid of is a plus, and even though the standpipe in the filter is the same the water path through the valve is greater and therefore reduces the flow restriction a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.