Connection between skimmer and suction line

Apr 17, 2013
I am having problem with an air leak that gets noticeably worse and causes loss of prime when vacuum is attached. I have built a air/water pressure tester, but can't successfully close off pump end without cutting a pipe (bad seal on jandy valve and pressure just goes down drain) so I want to wait until this weekend when I can cut and use an oatey expanding plug and install new pump and above ground plumbing (hoping that this will solve the air leak, but may be in underground piping).

Sticking my hand down the hole in the bottom of the skimmer that leads to the suction line I can feel threading to attach a winter plug into - then I feel about a 1/4" of rough concrete - then I feel the elbow - ?????? both feel like they are 1.5" so the top of the elbow is not large enough to ever have fit over the 1.5" pipe coming from the skimmer. It is like the skimmer was never attached to the elbow - would they have relied on concrete to seal this passage and it has worked for over 25 years and has now just degraded to the point it is sucking air???? Totally confused. Thanks so much to all of you experts on here that offer advice.

Suction side leaks, like yours, are amazingly common and it is almost never the underground piping....good news, huh? :mrgreen:

I'll bet your new plumbing fixes it. Check the vacuum hose for leaks if it continues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.