Test results!

Sammyw

Aug 19, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi everybody, this is my first posting of test results since our pool was built in January of this year. Please let me just mention that I was foolish enough to take a sample of our water to Leslie's about a month ago and after finding my CH level to be 160ppm they suggested I add 20 pounds of Hardness Plus which I did. Soon after my pool was full of white flakes and an accumulation of what looked like white sand. I assume this is calcium. Yesterday, my PH level was a brighter pink than the top of the scale pink on the TF100 kit so I used the pool calculator which suggested I add 40oz of muriatic acid, which I did. I'm obviously getting nowhere fast hence I got here ASAP.

Today's results:
Pool temp 91 degrees
FC - 2
CC - 0
PH - 8.2 or higher as it was almost a brighter pink than top of scale of TF100.
CL Br on test kit - 1 2
TA - 170, although the color was pink not red.
CH - 350
CYA - Filled the tube all the way to the top and could still see the black dot.
SWG set at 3300 ppm

I just want to say how much I appreciate all the patience you all show answering these questions ad nauseum.

1. Keep adding muriatic until your pH gets down in the mid 7's. Use poolcalculator.com to help predict the doses for everything.

2. You have zero CYA. Purchase and add enough to get you 60 ppm - Liquid form is at least twice as expensive than granular.

3. With that pool temp, I would add a small jug of clorox right now, if you have any, but tomorrow will be almost as good.

Give your priority to getting a handle on the pH but don't neglect the FC and CYA. Your pool is very warm and you could easily begin to harbor some algae.

I assume your water is clear??

Added a small jug of Clorox last night.
If I purchase granular CYA would I just pour it directly into my skimmer? The issue is I have to empty my skimmer basket every day due to being surrounded by Oak trees. Not sure if I should remove basket first or not.

Sammyw said:
Added a small jug of Clorox last night.
If I purchase granular CYA would I just pour it directly into my skimmer? The issue is I have to empty my skimmer basket every day due to being surrounded by Oak trees. Not sure if I should remove basket first or not.
Fill an old sock or stocking with the granules and hang it in front of a return. This way if you need to backwash, you won't lose any undissolved CYA. pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Richard320, thanks for the advice. My pump only runs for 12 hours a day so I'm assuming it's still ok for the sock to be hanging there while off? I don't plan on backwashing my cartridge filter anytime soon so could I just pour the granular CYA into the skimmer? Take basket out first or not? There seems to be differing opinions on how best to add granular CYA.

The best method is the sock method. That is really the only way we suggest doing it here. By the way, I am jealous of your pool temp. Still haven't opened mine yet, but the temp is probably in the 50's. Although by mid July I should be in the mid 90's.

Thanks John. I'm assuming the sock in front of the return is preferred over the sock in the skimmer basket. Living in Texas it doesn't take much to get the water warm. Although at this temp I don't find it particularly refreshing but my wife and kids love it and keeping them happy makes my life so much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.