advantage to 2" plumbing on pad with 1-1/2 in. incoming pipe

Re: advantage to 2" plumbing on pad with 1-1/2 in. incoming

You're just gonna confuse your water! Not a long enough run to matter. Just wondering............why would you bother?

I did just that when I was planning to re-plumb my pad for a new pump and solar anyway.

Biggest reason was to reduce the headloss in all the fittings. Sure the lengths are short, but all the Tees and 90s add a lot of head loss and by increasing the size you can reduce this and increase your flow rate.

BTW, all Jandy valves are 1.5/2 or 2/2.5 or 2.5/3. What this means is a 1.5" pipe will slip into the valve, but a 2" pipe is the same size as the valve inlet and you connect them with a 2" coupler.

If you are doing the work anyway, then it is cheap to increase the size. But there may not really be a point in re-doing the plumbing ONLY for the reason of increasing the size.

Buying new pump so just replumbing the entire pad. Thinking if the suction line ever needs replacing on the 30 year old plumbing I would upgrade to 2" and it would match the newer plumbing in the pad.

Also your opinion on - are union valves more likely to leak than glued joints?

Have you ever used a Pasco Ram Bit - plumbing tool that reams out the old pipe on a connection fitting so it can be reused when you are running out of usable pipe.

Well, unions are probably more likely to leak than a glued fitting, but you just replace the o-ring and it is fixed without doing any cutting and gluing.

I have not used a "fitting saver" but did just recommend trying it to someone else who has no pipe to work with here:
is-there-a-pump-fitting-adapter-to-stop-this-inlet-leak-t58027.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.