Newbie Here. Quick Question

May 24, 2008
Toms River NJ
Hi All,

I have a question regarding an ABG I had installed this past Thursday. It is currently Sat. May 24. my pool is appx 2/3 full with about 8000 gallons. My electrical hook up for my filter won't be complete until this coming Wednesday, May 28. Would it be okay to add the appropriate amounts of CYA and Shock Treatment, without filtration, to hold the water over until my filter hookup is complete and I can finish fillup, or should I just let it sit as is for four more days? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

JB66

Welcome to TFP!

It is likely the pool will get algae if you let it sit till Wednesday. But you shouldn't add anything without some circulation. Can you rig up a temporary solution to get the water moving one way or another? A sump pump or cover pump would be enough to get some basic circulation going.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, a temporary pump is not an available option. If I waited until Wed and did nothing, would getting rid of the algae be a big problem? Or, would I be doing any damage by adding chemicals without any circulation? I guess what I am looking for is the answer to the lesser of two evils.

JB66

Algae can be annoying but it isn't too difficult to kill off. Still there is some cost, time, and effort to kill algae.

Most of the chemicals you might add will cause problems if they are not mixed in throughly. Bleach and CYA will both damage the liner if they puddle/settle on the bottom of the pool. If you have some canoe paddles, or something similar, you could mix the water with those for a little while after adding bleach. It would probably only take about 6 cups of bleach and 10 to 15 minutes of paddling once each evening to keep the water in reasonably good condition for several days.

Yes, common household bleach. Look for unscented or "original scent" without any additives, scents, or special features. Bleach comes in various strengths, look for something labeled 6% sodium hypochlorite, often called "ultra". Other strengths will work but they usually cost more, are heavier to carry, and the quantity you need would be a little different.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm sure this will be a fine temporary solution until my filter is up and running.

I am also sure that I will be posting here quite often until I get this "pool thing" down pat. I am looking forward to everyones help. Thanks Again!

JB66

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.