Bonding the pool light niche -- How safe is safe ?

dradam

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2013
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Follow up to a previous post.

In 2005 my pool was renovated and I have never been confident that the pool light (120v) niche is in continuity with the one bonding wire that goes to my pool sub-panel. the conduit from the light niche is PVC. The wires from the pool light go to a deck box. I had to drain the pool below the light recently so I tested the continuity of the niche and the light to my bonding wire individually.

I ran a wire from the copper niche, (with the light pulled out), to the bonding wire going to my sub-panel and it is not in contiuinity.

I ran the same wire to the metal frame of the light itself (pulled out of the copper niche) and it shows continuity with the bonding wire. I suspect that the continuity is from the lights ground wire. The bonding wire is grounded to my home, so is the pool light ground.

When the light is screwed into the niche its frame will ground the copper light niche ( which is in continuity with the bond wire through my house panel) Though it is not technically bonded.

The light is GFCI protected.

So, I understand that bonding is not grounding but ultimatly they are in continuity through the ground to my home so I would think they are all at the same potential. While I would like to have a separate bonding wire for my pool light niche it is encased in cement underground and not at all easily accessible.

Is this an unsafe situation? Or am I overthinking it since the continuity is there throught the ground and the light it is gfci protected. Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

clarification: the bonding wire is attached to the ground bar in my sub panel, not to the bonding lugs on the shell of the sub panel. because the ground bar and the bonding lugs all attach to the metal housing they are in continuity.

thanks.

Thank you for your reply,

I have to agree with you. I whish I knew more when my pool was redone. They probably removed a metal conduit from the niche and replaced it with PVC. Metal conduit could have been easily hooked up to my bonding. Thay also converted my low voltage pool light to 120. Somehow I felt safer with the low voltage.

Many thanks,

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.