Fix Intermatic timer or must I replace it?

Spiccolli

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
I noticed the other day that my pump was still running a couple hours after the shut-off time.
This is the second or third time this has happened over the last couple months (that I have noticed).

I went out to inspect my settings and found that the dog had actually tripped the switch all the way, but the motor did not shut off.
I had to throw the switch to ON (which did nothing of course) and back to OFF (which thankfully turned off the pump).

So my clock works OK, the dogs are tripping the switch OK, but once in a while the switch throws to OFF, but to no effect.

Here is a picture of the timer:

[attachment=0:1su3hl53]timer.jpg[/attachment:1su3hl53]

Do I have to buy a whole new unit (about $50 or so?) or is there some way that this can be fixed on the cheap?

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 74
I'd replace the dogs first. If that doesn't do it, you should be able to buy parts for it or even adjust the switch a little. There was a thread a while ago where someone adjusted the switch mount because the dogs weren't engaging the switch.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd replace the dogs first. If that doesn't do it, you should be able to buy parts for it or even adjust the switch a little. There was a thread a while ago where someone adjusted the switch mount because the dogs weren't engaging the switch.

That's just it though - the OFF dog threw the on/off switch all the way to off, yet the motor was still running.

Turn the power off, take the mechanism out, there are two contacts on the back that should be touching when on and not touching when off. Play with the switch and see if you see anything weird. I wouldn't even mess with it though, i would just replace the mechanism. All it takes is a couple days of you not noticing that it stayed on the whole time to make it worth it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.