Above Ground Pool heating options - Hamilton ON

Apr 12, 2013
need an alternative option to extend the pool season.

a gas line would cost me about $1200 + a $1000 heater

an electric heater would cost me about $900 plus about $500 for an electrician to come out and run the line.

I have a solar panel 3x20 I believe it is but not sure how much it would heat up my pool.

has anyone have either and electric or gas heater and how much is the average cost. also what is better for a 12x21 above ground pool?

Up in our more Northern climates, solar panels don't really extend the season much. I estimate I get maybe 2 extra weeks at the beginning and maybe 2 at the end of the season. What it does do well, is when the summer turns temporarily cool, then it can really help keep the pool temp up.

Each pool, layout, and sun coverage is different. On my pool, I have 70% solar panel area to pool surface area. I have not heard of 3X 20 panels, usually they are 2X20 or 4X20, but that would only get you 24% coverage...probably not enough to make a difference.

Ditto's, I don't think it extends the season much but makes the season better.

I have a friend with an inground and a heater, can't recall electric or gas but he complains about the costs of running it, he's mentioned it can easily add a couple hundred a month - obviously depending on how much he uses it, but when people know you got it I wager they expect you to use it - the waters cold turn on the heater!!!!! :party:

I can't give you a solid price personally but I'd just say plan to budget a hunk of cash each month to run it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.