Help with chemistry

Welcome to TFP!

TC stands for total chlorine, which is the sum of free chlorine (FC) and combined chlorine (CC). Since your TC level is >10, it seems likely, though not certain, that your FC level is fairly high. You need a test kit which can measure FC and CC independently to know what your FC really is. The TF Test Kit is a wonderful choice and the Taylor K-2006 is also good.

FC is raised by adding chlorine, which comes in a variety of forms: bleach, trichlor tablets and sticks, dichlor granules, powdered cal-hypo, and several others.

Leslie's will usually give you FC and CC numbers, and not just TC. Without knowing what FC and CC are it is impossible to say if you have a problem or not. If your CC level is significant you need a lot more chlorine, but it is equally likely that your FC level is already high and you are basically fine.

Please tell us what the water looks like? And if you have any way of measuring either FC or CC, or getting a pool store to do it for you, that would be really good to know.

the water is clearing but still green.
The leslies sheet says
FAC .5
TAC 5+
pH8.0 (My home test says 7.0)
TA 160
CH 300
CYA 20

I also have a hayward 60sqft de filter. I have had to backflush twice a day. There are leaves and fine debris on the bottom. I have used the leaf rake but do have great visualization in the deep end. I have vacuumed to waste but again can no yet tackle the deep end.
Len
?Keep adding bleach?

Alright, your CC level is high and FC is close to zero.

You need more chlorine. I would start with 6 gallons of 6% bleach right away. Then another 6 gallons tonight.

It would be a big help if you got a test kit that could measure FC and CC separately. Then it would be much simpler to figure out when the algae is really dead and you can cut back on adding bleach.

Attachments

• IMG03334-20130618-0720.jpg
    IMG03334-20130618-0720.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG03337-20130618-0721.jpg
    IMG03337-20130618-0721.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.