Concerned about CSI

Jun 21, 2012
I have a 13,000 gal gunite pool, with a SWG. I'm using the ColorQ test kit, and just had it opened for the sprint. I have done a few adjustments, and know have the following readings:
FC: 4.1
pH: 7.5
TA: 74
CH: 298
CYA: 40 (need to bring up to 70)
Salt: 3000
Borate: 50
Temp: 45 F

According to The Pool Calculator, my CSI is alarmingly low, I guess largely due to the temp. If I bring the temp up to the 70's, it's better, although still close to the lower limit. No plans on using the pool for a few weeks, so I hadn't intended on heating it yet. However, now that I see the CSI, I'm wondering if it's doing damage to keep it at these levels for that much time. Do I need to start maintaining a min temp to prevent damage? Or should I not worry about it? Or, is there some other water parameter I should change?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

First, I wanted to mention that the experience on this board suggests the ColorQ does not do a great job at measuring cya.

Have you adjusted you ph down, or is that where you found it? As water gets colder, the ph goes up. This is a good thing when dealing with lower csi.

For now, I would just bump your ph up to ~8.0 and you should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback! I know ColorQ can be difficult to get an accurate CYA reading, but that seems right based on where it was last year, and subsequent partial draining last fall/this spring. I adjusted the pH down, I had been lowering alkalinity after opening. I will let the pH go back up, and leave at that for now. The water *is* crystal clear and looks great, if cold, just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be harming the plaster.

Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.