Wiring for new Whisperflo dual speed motor

Mar 31, 2011
I'm replacing my old pentair whisperflo motor with a new one - 2 speed with a toggle switch. Like a dummy, I didn't take a picture of how the old motor was wired. I don't want to make a mistake and fry the new motor. 230, black/red/green wire from the panel. On the motor, the posts are marked (in order from the top) 1, 2, and 3 or 4. I've already attached the green to the ground. Any pros out there willing to help me out?

[attachment=0:3tstgb5y]photo.JPG[/attachment:3tstgb5y]

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    481.6 KB · Views: 276
Where is your speed selection switch? If it is not on the motor, you will actually need another wire to the motor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Red or black to the middle of the switch and the other to terminal 1. The yellow and white wire from the switch should already be attached to terminals 2 and 3.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the response, Jason. Wired it exactly as instructed (and as it shows on the diagram). Powered it up at the box, and I only have 1 speed - when toggle switch is up, motor turns off. Any ideas?

Hmm. There is not an "off" on the switch. Check that the yellow and white wires are connected well (they look like it in the picture).

Are you comfortable verifying 230 V between terminals 1 and 2 with the switch in one position and 1 and 3 with the switch in the other position?

You previous motor was 230V right?

If you see 230V between 1 and 2 (and nothing between 1 and 3) and then flip the switch and see 230V between 1 and 3 (and nothing between 1 and 2), that would mean the switch is working, but the motor may be defective.

You could also try disconnecting the switch and wiring directly to 1 and 3 and then 1 and 2 to see if both speeds work separately ... of course PLEASE throw the breaker when changing the wires.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.