Major Pool remodel effort

Bob H

Aug 14, 2009
Jersey Shore
After 40+ years my 16 x 32 inground pool has finally given up the ghost. 3 out of 4 walls show signs of movement and the metals walls are not in good shape rust wise and the liner is 10 years old with holes. My question is can I go with a different pool shape and have walls/footings constructed over portions of the deep end hopper that have been filled in? Must I stick with the same shape? Should I be concerned about future settling and would this be covered under the builders warranty? If this is OK what type of fill material would be best. So many questions and it is not summer yet!!!! Thanks in advance.
Bob

Anything is possible, but dramatically changing the pool shape is akin to installing a new pool. The associated costs are going to be about the same. Filling in the deep end and constructing new walls is certainly possible and if the compaction is done correctly there's not much chance of it settling.

Hello Bama Rambler,
Thanks for the reply. Fixing the old pool ie (rebuilding the walls) is costly and with 3 out of 4 in need of attention I just feel that I'm throwing good money after bad. I had a PB give me an estimate and the new pool footprint would use most of the hole in the shallow end and half the deep end would be dug in virgin soil and the other half would be dug over the filled in part side of old deep end. when all is said and done it is installing a new pool. just not as much digging. I just get uneasy about walls and floors over non virgin soil. Speaking of wall construction, has anyone out there had any experience with the IBEX wall system. A builder that I am considering uses that method as an option. Looks to be stronger for decking as well as sides, and of course it costs more (about 4K) to the total price. What would you recommend for fill?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob your location not being known would make it hard to suggest a way to build over an existing pool hole. That being said we had a customer decide to change the angle that the pool was at after we dug the hole. We used cinder blocks to build the wall on, then brought several yards of concrete in to fill the void between the wall and the slope for the deep end. This also gave support to the wall.

I am located in Central NJ on the coast. I just spoke with a PB and what I need to do is fill the old deep end with a material called R-Blend. Basically it is crushed concrete clay and cement. I believe they use for road beds etc. Compacts extremely well and gets hard, and provides the stability for pouring footings. I am concerned that I did not get this response from another PB that I spoke at length with. If anyone out there in NJ has any advice or good recommendations for a PB please pass them on. With tear out and construction I am looking at probably spending around $30K for everything. Pool size wound be between 16 x 34 to 18 x 38 pond, lagoon (free-form shape). This is almost like buying a car. Speaking of which is it common to haggle about price and options in the pool building industry? Since I have never done it I am glad that there are some forums like TFP to get some good honest answers. Hope to get some input from all you seasoned vets.!!!!
Thanks,
Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.