Kreepy Krauly Kruiser and Vacuum question

armywife1996

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2009
Oklahoma
Ok, so I ordered the Kruiser and it came today. And I'm a little confused (again, as usual :) )

I have a Doughboy with two skimmers. When I vacuum I have been putting the skimmer lid down on both skimmers, attaching the manual vac hose to the skimmer port and just vacuuming that way. It works ok. But I keep feeling like I'm not doing it right or could be getting better results.

Well, today I get the Kruiser in the mail and I'm reading the instructions. It says for a pool with two skimmers to close one off with the pump valve and connect the hose to the selected skimmer...

Is that something I should have been doing while manually vacuuming? :scratch:

How do I determine which skimmer is getting closed off when I turn the valve? Nothing was marked or explained at install.

Turn the valve and then see which skimmer is still pulling water.

In reality, you may not want the other skimmer turned off completely. Usually the suction skimmers have a range of suction where they work best, I think you should have gotten a gauge with the cleaner. Hook the cleaner and gauge to one skimmer and then close off the other skimmer until you have the appropriate amount of suction going through the cleaner.

You could close or partially close the 2nd skimmer when had vacuuming if you wanted more suction through the vac.

I looked at your build thread and didn't see a pic of the equipment, but if you can post a pic we can probably tell you how to tell. However, it should be fairly easy to tell if each skimmer is ran individually back to the pad. Turn one off and see which one stops flowing. then mark the piping to indicate which that is and mark the other one too. If they're tied to the same line back to the pad you can just plug one and all the suction will go to the other.

I'm not familiar with those skimmers so I don't know what "putting the skimmer lids down" does.

That's a nice clean setup. Just turn that 3-way valve one way (so the handle lines up with the pipe on one side) and go find out which skimmer isn't working. Then turning it the other way will turn that one back on and the other one off.

As JB said, you may not want to turn one off all the way. It's something you'll have to play with to get the right amount of suction. However if the Kreepy came with a vacuum regulator you can turn one all the way off and let the regulator take care of the correct amount of suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.