Filter, Pump, Multi-Port?

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

When I turn the pump off water and air drain into the pump with lots of bubbles. Is this perhaps a sign that the spider gasket needs to be replaced? When the pump is running pressure is steady at 19-20 psi and it holds prime with some minor bubbles.

Thanks for any guidance,

Gary R.

If the filter is draining after the pump turns off, that could be an air leak on the pressure side on the filter or in the multi-port valve.

Are you purging the air out of the filter by opening the air valve on the top of the filter? {or do you have a top-mounted multiport with no bleed?}
After purging, after running the pump for a while do you again find air in the filter? That would point to a suction leak.

Are you purging the air out of the filter by opening the air valve on the top of the filter?
Yes.
After purging, after running the pump for a while do you again find air in the filter?
Yes.

Thank Jason, sounds like I should replace both pump and spider gaskets just to be sure.

I'll let you know the results.

Regards,

Gary R.

Sounds more like a suction side leak than the spider gasket maybe.

What happens if you purge all the air from the filter with the pump on, then close the air bleed and immediately turn off the pump? Does it still bubble and drain the pump & filter quickly?

Hi Jason;

It's less when I bleed and turn off. Also I just notice a dribble of water coming out of the pump basket lid when I turn the pump off. Will start with the pump basket gasket first.

When I started the pump this year there was water coming from the multi-port valve on the side where it tightens down. Re-lubed the spider gasket and tightened down and that stopped that problem.

Thank you,

Gary R.

Just a follow up question on this topic. Do to recent rain/snow pool level is right at top of skimmer and pump reservoir is perfectly clear, no bubbles. I am getting some bubbles out the return line. What would cause this?

Thank you,

Gary R.

Is there any air still in the filter that you are seeing enter the pool?

If the pump has not air, then it is odd to see air entering the pool, unless all the air is not out of the filter yet.

Thanks Jason!

I opened air bleeder and it comes out in a steady stream. No bubbles going back into pump when I shut down. Spider gasket?? When the pool level was a little lower there were some bubbles in the pump but it always catches prime as soon as I turn the pump on.

Gary R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.