Winter cover - one season ?

bumpy1

Jul 28, 2011
NY
Hoping I can get some perspective here. Had pool co. out to open pool. All went went well - water clear and clean @ 54 deg F.

New winter cover put on in Nov by pool co. closing. Winter cover saw no damage over the NE winter. During the opening, the "new" cover (from Nov) opened at the seam and is not usable for this coming seasons close. Is it unreasonable to expect to get more than one season out of a winter cover ?

Opening at the seam would certainly indicate a manufacturing issue and trigger a warranty replacement. Pool co. is indicating prior attempts at warranty replacement ~ $150 to cover shipping both ways, etc. Does this sound odd ?

Any ideas or perspectives welcome - to put it mildly I'm more than miffed ....

Thanks in advance.

Waiting to hear back from Pool co. with make and model, will post again with specifics - short take is it's a 30x50 black out winter cover (tarp type). Weighted with water bags and bricks. Cover always had at min a few inches of water on it keep it down in the pool.

Thanks.

Dave

The seam came loose while the guys were folding the cover back. So the weights were removed by that point. Like I said, the cover made it through the winter just fine. The removal did it in.

And $150 for round trip warranty shipping ...

I had the same thing happen to my tarp-type cover. I had bought it on Overstock.com and it was a dark blue (they should just have named it as black it was so dark) with a navy blue underside and was really inexpensive - about $88 to cover our 19 x 37 with corner steps pool. We used water bags to anchor it down, and all was fine all winter until we removed it and found one of seams partially separated in a certain area. To me, the warrantees are useless and so I took fishing line filament and sewed up the seam. It has served us well over it's second winter on the pool, but I can't tell you yet if any more seam separation has occurred now that we've taken it off -it's still lying on the deck where it's been too cold to wash it off and examine it. I can post back here when we do get to see if it will go another winter with us, or go in the trash. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.