Time for my first backwash!

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
Hi Everyone!

I am getting ready to do the first backwash of my filter since firing the pool guy and I just want to make sure I am ready to go. I have a DE filter (Jandy DEV 60) that requires 6 lbs of DE. When I do a backwash, how much DE do I put back into the skimmer? The full 6lbs or only a percentage of that? Also, how do I add it- do I mix it with water first before pouring into the skimmer? Is there a "good" type of DE to buy or will any pool-DE do? Any information/recommendations you have would be great! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

I usually put the DE in a bucket and mix with water and pour into the skimmer.

If only backwashing, I would add about 80% of the full amount of DE since backwashing will not get t all.

Check out the "use and care DE filters" article in the further reading section of Pool School.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thank you both! Yes, I did purchase a hose and I have been reading the manual for my filter- says to shut the pump off, switch handle to BACKWASH, open air release valve, then switch the pump back on until the water runs clear (let me know if that is not correct!). I am still trying to figure out a good place to backwash it-- trying to avoid the garden... Where do you guys put the backwashes water? I am preparing myself for some dirty water, as I am already at the 30% increase mark and probably needed to do this last week!

Thank you very much for your help!

nicpppardo said:
Thank you both! Yes, I did purchase a hose and I have been reading the manual for my filter- says to shut the pump off, switch handle to BACKWASH, open air release valve, then switch the pump back on until the water runs clear (let me know if that is not correct!). I am still trying to figure out a good place to backwash it-- trying to avoid the garden... Where do you guys put the backwashes water? I am preparing myself for some dirty water, as I am already at the 30% increase mark and probably needed to do this last week!

Thank you very much for your help!

That sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Perhaps open the air bleed when you first open the backwash valve, but close it again before you start the pump or you'll have water spraying out everywhere!

When I had DE in mine, I waited for a rainy day and backwashed out into the gutter where it would get diluted with rainwater and flow into the storm drain, eliminating the telltale white crust on the street. Since I switched to fiber clear cellulose, I just wash it out onto the front lawn. The lawn seems to thrive on it. It helps to have two people, in contact via cell phone, when you do it. One stands by the pump switch, the other plays fireman and makes sure the lawn gets evenly watered.

Here it is emptying into the street

file.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.