Aug 18, 2011
Blanchard, Oklahoma
Ok I need some advice. Good news first. Pulled my cover off this weekend and water was crystal clear and still had FC of 6! I was pumped. Now to more disturbing news. Last year I got pool stored and ended up with my CYA off the charts. So long story short got my CYA down to 70-80 last year before I closed. I figured with the draining I did for the winter I would be fine when I refilled this spring. Man I was wrong. My CYA is still 70-80. after filling back up yesterday. The pool looks good and we are under water restrictions right now. Should I drain and refill now or just work with it at the current levels. I really thought that it would be back down to around 50. How long will it take me to get it down?

If the water is clear and you still show FC, there's probably no reason to shock. Minimum FC for your pool, according to Pool Calculator, is 5-10, which means you'll be testing it using the FAS-DPD tester instead of the simpler color block, but it's do-able.

Backwashing will lower CYA. You can also use the pool water to water the lawn and then refill with tap water to make it up, which will lower it ever so slowly.

PS: assume the water is 50 inches deep. Every inch you drain and refill will drop it about 2%.

Yes the water was 57% when I tested. I still have trouble doing the cya test for some reason. I have taken probably 30 of them and watched the videos and I always have trouble deciding when I can see a the black dot ever so faintly. lol. How much difference does temp make? And no I haven't used pucks since last year when I figured out my CYA was of the charts. Bleach only from now on!

The rest of this thread is kind of all over the place, but this post is a good summary:
at-what-water-temp-is-cya-test-reliable-t57403.html#p471372

Basically you either need to allow the CYA reaction continue for a few minutes (not just 30 seconds) when the water is cold, or let the water warm up first.

And really lighting may play a bigger role in the reading anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.