cloudy water from jets

Apr 22, 2013
Okay I am at a lose as to why I have cloudy water coming from my jets. It is happening every 15minutes just like clockwork. It seems to be coming from the jets when my four cell auto pilot swg turns on.

The water jets out cloudy but clears up just before the salt cells kick on again. It leaves a cloudy flim on the water.

I know the problem is coming from the swg, because when I turn it off the problem ceases.

The pool is a 66000 gallon indoor heated pool. The pool currently has approximAtely 550 kids a week going through swimming lessons.

The water is heated to 90 degrees year round. And it has 3 de filters each having 66.5 square feet of filter.

Here are my numbers from this morning and they stay usually year round. I test the pool numbers daily as well as hand vacuum the pool every morning.

Free chlorine 1.0
Total chlorine 2.0
Ph 7.6
Alkalinity 100
Salt cells are reading 3100 ppm set at15 %
The filters psi is reading 17 18 18 and they were changed one week ago.

I am stumped any idea is appreciated. If u need more info to help just ask.

Welcome to TFP!

That's unusual. SWCG cells can create lots of tiny little bubbles that are evident at the return jets, but cloudy water that is present only with the cell off is strange. DE leaking from a broken grid can create a dusty condition in the water, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the SWCG unit being on or off.

We have an ozone will get the name and post it later this afternoon.
No CYA in the pool
Not sure about CH I am planning on taking it and having it professionally tested this afternoon
Do not use non chlorine shock in the pool. We have in the past but since our numbers have been so good for so long we haven't

Recently installed a pvc liner. We were getting holes in the bottom and side of our gunite/plaster walls.

It was from the divers which share the pool with.

One small hole and water was getting between the plaster and the gunite. When we drained the pool we probably ucked 3000 gallons from under the plaster.

I am thinking it is air but not sure from where.

I will be posting pictures in a little while so maybe that will help some pros assist me with brain stumper.

Here are some pictures for the pool so you can see what it is doing.
First one is what the pool looks like after the SWG finishes running.
1gpool_zps326742d8.jpg

The Second one is what the jest look like when the SWG kicks on.
1fpool_zpsa44abbaa.jpg

The third one is a better view of the jets when the SWG kicks on.
1bpool_zps7d93a19c.jpg

The fourth is what the water looks like when the water has had a chance to settle.
1apool_zps0d436e2f.jpg

The fifth is another view of the water settling. The top of the water is left with a film like, which will go away when the water is distrubed.
1fpool_zps3789f945.jpg

While I was waiting on the photos to up load I checked and the name of our ozone system is del.

After looking for the model number I found the house which attacches from the ozone system to the pool line broken and i can feel a little bit of air, but i am still wondering if the air deal is the whole problem I am having.

Just stumped.

No algea. The liner we put in about 3 months ago has an alegicide coating.
As for clarifier I haven't gone that rout becuase at this point I thought it would be more of a cosmetic fix.

What exactly is floc I haven't heard that term before.

The reason I asked was that the foaming looks like what we've seen after algaecide has been added to the water.
Do you have a Calcium hardness reading?

Floc is flocculent, it's used to clump and sink stuff to the bottom so it can be vacuumed up.

There are some fairly rare situations where SWGs will produce micro-bubbles that stick around for a while and look just like your pictures. All SWGs produce hydrogen gas, but normally it forms small, but not tiny, bubbles that are difficult to see and float the surface and pop quickly. However, when the chemistry is just right (or just wrong depending on your point of view) the bubbles can be much smaller than normal and take a long time to dissipate.

Generally this situation only lasts for a few days. In particular, balancing all of your other levels generally causes it to go away. I've only seen it before in outdoor pools with fairly cold water and very low CYA levels, and never lasting more than a couple of days. Your pool is indoors, so I'm not sure exactly how to approach the situation.

Can you think of anything that changed at the same time the cloudiness first appeared?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No flocuo.
No algecide.
and I will take the water and get a professional reading.

Currently we are using a super pro delux oto test kit.

The only thing that has changed with regards to the pool in the past year has been the new pool liner. the liner was in for about 5 weeks before this started so I am back to square one with potential solutions.

I will post the numbers I get tomorrow and fix the ozone tubing. This is getting tedious. The women who wouldn't know ph from tc are starting to tell me what to do. Gotta fix this.

Thanks again for all your help to this point.

You really should have a good test kit yourself, especially in a public pool. I'm surprised that your AHJ doesn't require one.

This is one of those things that can be tedious to figure out and it may be a combination of things that you'll just have to sort out one at a time.

If you don't mind, keep us informed what you find and what the fix is. It's interesting to say the least.

Could it be a whole concentration of Suntan Oil???? You mentioned is a public pool.

Is this a possibility?? Im not sure what massive amounts of it would look like in the pool, but Ive seen small amount and it alomsot looks like some of the pictures, especially the slick on top of the water....

I may be totally of base- but just throwing it out there.

I am sure a small amount is body lotions. But it is not the bigger problem.

We HAVE a reagent electronic test kit but we have 3 problems with it.
1.no one wants to spend the money for the reagents to test. Every day
2'. No one wants to learn how to use it, because "it's a man's job"
3. We can get the same results with the cheaper test kit.

Once you get a handle on this problem, come back and do some reading and you'll see that the OTO kit won't give you nearly the same results as a good drop based kit. I don't know which particular kit you have but the vast majority of people here use a very good drop based kit and test every day and the expense is very reasonable. I would think a public establishment could easily afford the reagents needed to test. There is also a whole section here based on how to use the drop based kits and it makes it very user friendly.

I know you have a lot going on with the cloudy issue, but once that's under control come back and read some and feel free to ask chemistry questions and anything else you want to know. We're more geared to the residential side but there are a lot of people here that are versed in the public side too.

Those pictures sure look like DE clouds and since you said you had DE filters, is there a possibility they are the cause? Were the DE filters disassembled/cleaned before this started?
I'm wondering if you have an automation system that is mis-wired/programmed that is cycling valves affecting the DE filter at the same time the SWG is turned on.

I am all for a good drop kit and have pushed the issue for as long as I have been there. Owners are willing to for a while and then after a few months either I have to go away for military or they don't want to pay the amount since the numbers are not changing and they can't get it through their minds that it is a more acurate.

As far as DE no way. Sorry that was the forst thing I checked. When I turn off the SWG the cloudiness stops completely. This morning I fixed 3 sources of air leaking into the lines leading to the SWG, and it still hasn't fixed it. Suess I am going to have to call in someone who can at least point me in the right direction.

I have no idea why this is happening.

Again thanks for the help and assistance.

I didnt get a chance to test the water this morning after I got into my above post, but what i did notice was when I grab water in a water bottle when the jets turned on It was indeed cloudy. After I capped it and let it sit for a few minutes it turned clear as a bell with a billin tiny bubbles on the sides on the water bottle.

I will get it tested tomorrow and let you know what I have.

Ok Here are the numbers after I got them tested.

I tested 2 water samples
Sample one was after the water had cleared up. and here are those results:
free Chlorine 0.1
Total Chlorine 0.6
Combined Chlorine 0.5
pH is 7.2
Hardness 85
Alkalinity 89
Salt is 2600 ppm

Here are the numbers from the sample that was taken directly out of the jets as the cloudy water was pumping into the pool.

Free Chlorine 7.2
Total Chlorine 7.2
Combined Chlorine 0.0
pH 7.6
Alkalinity 92
Hardness 76
Salt 2600 ppm

when I tested the same water samples with the Drop test kit we have I got the exact same numbers for each sample listed above.

Still stumped and confused.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.