help! totally new to this...

materwelon

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Hi everyone-

we are in the process of building our pool, and the builder is willing to install a stenner pump if we want - he doesn't sound thrilled about it, and he certainly can't give me any advice on what to order!

so, I'm hoping you can! My thoughts are this pump: http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/prod ... -Pump.html with a reservoir from them as well. I don't know what voltage to order, either!

The pool will be about 19000 gallons...what else do you need to know to help me?

Thanks in advance, and so sorry for the basic level questions!

Larisa

Usually, those are for some type of chemical control. They can be used for automated chlorination, pH control, and other things. It would be uncommon to use one in a residential setting. Did he say why such a pump would be needed?

I have the 3 GPD adjustable pump on a 13,000 gallon pool that I run about 8 hours a day on about 5. Since you're looking at the 10 GPD fixed model, you'll need a timer capable of pretty fine adjustments. Single minutes would be best, but at least 15 minute intervals. As for the voltage, you can always order the 115 volt model and use a separate timer or a relay in the automation system (if you're going to have one) to run it. Since you're getting the fixed output you don't want to run it on the pump timer. I have a 15 gallon drum and it'll last me about a month so that would be the smallest size I'd recommend for you.

Do you plan on having any automation besides the chorine injection?

Post back any questions you have and we'll be glad to help.

We would like to have one installed to do chlorine (bleach) dispensing vs. me out there pouring bleach in each day...

would the smaller output pump be better in our situation? or the variable speed (I'd read about clicking sounds)? We live in Austin, if that matters. As far as other automation - the pump is VS, and included in our quote is the Jandy AquaLink RS 6, we have a spa (no blower), polaris 280, two fountain plumes, Delta UV (I know, I know), and included is a Rainbow chlorinator. I wasn't planning any other chemical automation other than the bleach.

Thanks again!

Larisa

materwelon said:
We would like to have one installed to do chlorine (bleach) dispensing vs. me out there pouring bleach in each day...

would the smaller output pump be better in our situation? or the variable speed (I'd read about clicking sounds)? We live in Austin, if that matters. As far as other automation - the pump is VS, and included in our quote is the Jandy AquaLink RS 6, we have a spa (no blower), polaris 280, two fountain plumes, Delta UV (I know, I know), and included is a Rainbow chlorinator. I wasn't planning any other chemical automation other than the bleach.

Thanks again!

Larisa

Hey Larisa, Im in austin. I have the 10 gpd pump. I just put it on a cheap timer from home depot and have it plugged into a 120v outlet that is on the side of my control box. You can have your pool builder cut the plug off and wire it directly into the pool control box, but that will void the pump warranty. Which voltage you get will depend on what voltage you have nearby. (normal outlets are 120).

There are a couple of caveats. When the stenner pump is on it is loud, so I personally like mine running as little as possible (I can hear it in the master bedroom). We run ours for about 1.5 hours a day on 10gpd which is about .625 gallons/day. (into a 17K gallon pool).

You can read the threads for setup, I bought the blue tank from the brewery supply company. I also buried it as far as I could so that the bleach would stay cooler. I have the check valve, with the black tubing going into the main return (basically where a tab feeder would go). You want the check valve to keep pool water from reversing into the tube (unlikely but possible). When the bottom fell off my pump, apparently the check valve failed. Pool water filled my chlorine reservoir and was spilling out.

when the temp is freezing the stenner pump should not be used as the tube can crack because it gets hard.

The bottom fell off my stenner pump because the plastic brackets broke. I ended up screwing the bottom on.

You should run the stenner pump only when the main pump is circulating water.

This is what I bought. In retrospect I could have gotten the fixed rate pump since it gets noisy when I try to run it at less than 10gpd. Keep in mind that you will need to have a timer available on your pool control box (I didnt) or you will need a separate timer.

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x 45MHP10 - Stenner Pumps Chemical Feeder (45MHP10) = $277.00
Stenner Voltage: 120 Volt 60 Hz = A
Stenner Tube Type 1/4" UV Black = 2
Add a Rain Roof Add Rain Roof
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $277.00
United Parcel Service (9.00lbs) (Ground): $12.29
Total: $289.29

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but did you literally bury your bleach tank? Don't you live in Austin, did you use a jackhammer?

More seriously, that's an interesting solution, as I have been trying to figure out how it's feasible to do the feeder in 1008 degree heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.