Quick and Easy Siphon

Apr 9, 2012
Stuck in a cold weather pattern in Nebraska and had to "re-winterize" due to projected freezes tonight and tomorrow night. We are getting a lot of rain now and I need to siphon some water out this evening. Does anyone have a quick and easy siphon idea?

You can easily syphon off water with a garden hose as long as you have somewhere below pool water level to drain the water too. Fill the garden hose with water (put it in the pool and hold one end up to a return jet for 30 seconds should do it) then kink one end so it won't drain, keeping the other end underwater, move the kinked end to below water level outside the pool, and release the kink. The pool will then drain, though it may take a while.

How many garden hoses do you have? Do you have a sump pump? Do you have a hose you use for backwashing that is large diameter but also more rigid so that it doesn't collapse on itself?

What will be harmed if you let it fill up and wait till you can use pool pump to discharge extra water?

Looking at weather in Nebraska for the next couple of days, the lowest I am seeing is mid 20's and that only during the early morning hours with temperatures getting to at least upper 30s during the day. I would just leave it full and run the pump continuously at night and when the temps are below freezing and you should be fine.

bobby32x said:
My pool sets up higher than the rest of my back yard by roughly 2 to 3 feet. Do you think the siphon technique would pull hard enough to vacuum leaves and mud from the pools bottom?
I am currently at work and not able to work on my pool but I wanted to see what you guys thought. maybe one of you have tried this before?!?
I doubt it. The water velocity will only be the same as if you stabbed a hole in the side of your pool, less the slowing caused by the friction of the hose walls. You'll have better luck with.a leaf rake and a conventional manual vacuum.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

If your only talking a couple of days below freezing I see no point in winterizing, here in Louisiana we get winter lows in the down to about 10 degrees some years, occasionally staying below freezing for days at a time, and most people never formally winterize their pools, most just leave them circulating. It takes time below freezing for large bodies of water to freeze, and moving water combined with heat from the pump should protect your pump and filter unless you loose power.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.