new pool lighting/bubbler questions

dc1

Oct 25, 2012
Good Morning,

We are in the process of getting permit for new construction of and in ground pool and I have a question about lighting. We would like to add 3 Pentair 12v led color pool lights and 2 12v color cascade bubblers. I would like to have them all coordinated together using Pentair intellibrite controller. No other automation at this time. My concern is the additional resistance from the length of wire needed for the bubblers and lights. We will need 150 ft for bother bubblers, 150 ft for 2 pool lights and 100 ft for the third pool light. Will a 300 watt transformer work or do I need 100 watt transformer for each light and bubblers, seeing that the wire length for each one is over 100 ft? How would the electrical diagram look and will the intellibrite controller be able to control 5 separate 100 watt transformers. I believe I read that the intellibrite controller is rated 300 watts max. I called Pentair support they weren’t helpful ( could be due to my ignorance ). I also sent these questions via email to Pentair asking for their help and haven’t heard from them; its was sent early last week. On their web they attempt to get back with you in 72hrs. So far nothing. I’m not an electrician, as you can see. I’m just looking for a better understanding. I want to make sure we don’t run into any problems. My PB has never setup lights like these before; he installs standard pool lights. So he’s not much help here.

Power source(120)---------intellibrite controller(120)--------------------(100watt)transformer(12v) ( possible 5 )-------------lights/bubblers(12v).

Would I need a junction box between the intellibrite controller and all those step down transformers?

-or-

Power source(120) ----intellbrite controller(120)---------300 watt transformer(12v) ------lights/bubblers(12v).

Anyone with any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I’m making this harder then what it is and the length of wire isn't a concern?
Thanks

The IntelliBrite controller is limited to 300 watts maximum. Your combination of lights is within the 300 watt maximum, so you are fine there. Using a single 300 watt transformer is the obvious way to go. Using five 100 watt transformers would exceed the specs on the controller, and cause unnecessary complexity.

The long cable runs are a minor issue. You will need get the version of the lights with the longer cable pre-installed and setup the transformer to produce 14 volts, instead of 12, to make up for the longer cable runs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.