Newbie Here!! Intex Ultra 20x52

Apr 22, 2013
First off I want to say thanks to the forum members for all the help so far! This forum and members are great.

I just bought a 20x52 ultra frame intex pool. It came with the sand pump and i purchased separately the salt water system. Right now i am in the process of starting to get the ground level, and trying to learn everything I can before i put the pool up. So far I only have a few questions right now, but I'm sure I will have more.

1. My manual does not state how many pounds of salt to put in my particular pool. I'm guessing my pool is newer than the manual. Could someone tell me? (20x52 ultra frame)

2. I have noticed some people put their pump and SW system in plastic totes. I plan on def putting my SW system in a tote, but do not know if i should put my sand pump in a tote. The manual states it needs to breath, but does not need to get wet and stuff. Any ideas on what I should do?

Welcome to TFP!

You need to determine what the optimum salt level is for your particular pool. Once you have that, you can use the pool calculator (link in my sig) to determine how much you need to add, based upon the total gallons of your pool.

Not too certain about the storage of your sand filter. I will let someone else answer that.

Welcome to TFP, thedarktitan :wave:

Per the Intex Saltwater Chlorine generators (swg) manual, your pool is 8638 gallons (same size as metal frame pools listed) and it needs 220 pounds of [s:1awlktj6]sand[/s:1awlktj6] salt to get to Intex's recommended 3000 ppm of salt. I also use the intex swg, but I run it slightly higher at the beginning of the year at about 3400 ppm. Here are the tfp guidelines for swgs: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

thedarktitan said:
2. I have noticed some people put their pump and SW system in plastic totes. I plan on def putting my SW system in a tote, but do not know if i should put my sand pump in a tote. The manual states it needs to breath, but does not need to get wet and stuff. Any ideas on what I should do?
I have not seen this before and I am not sure why they are doing that. I do not put my swg in anything, it sits on my paver pad right next to my pump and filter.

linen said:
Per the Intex Saltwater Chlorine generators (swg) manual, your pool is 8638 gallons (same size as metal frame pools listed) and it needs 220 pounds of sand to get to Intex's recommended 3000 ppm of salt.

He means salt, not sand. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.