TF Test Kit ?

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
I am getting ready to order my TF Test kit, but wanted to know if the kit will last me a full season or do I need to order any refills now since there is a $15min on refills? My season is 6 months maximum.

Typically not. The reagents get used up pretty fast if you have an algae bloom or are working on a big problem and have to test CYA 15 times or more.

If your pool water is decent, there should be enough chemistry to last the season at least. Some folks report getting much more than one season out of it but, again, if you currently have a green pool or your balance is w-a-a-ay off, there's a decent chance you'll run out of something.

The only time I suggest ordering refills with the kit is for overseas deliveries where the shipping on refills can run $30 bucks or more.

I use my TF-100 fairly heavily and it is easily going to last two seasons. A couple of people doing Baquacil conversions used up their FAS-DPD reagents in a couple of weeks, but that is an unusual situation. Likewise there are rare situations where the CYA reagent can be used up quickly. If you take reasonable care of your pool and don't have epic algae problems, the kit as sold should last two seasons.

I have to admit here, first time pool owner in my life. Hopefully our pool will be completed within the next two weeks. Since our water will be new fill, along with a newbie, do you suggest maybe some extra CYA? We are going to attempt to do this the BBB way.

Also, any thoughts on the Natural Chemistry Pool Water Conditioner which is a liquid form stablilizer? Plan on ordering 4 gallons (case) to have on hand.

nu,

I would be happy to put the extra reagent in there for you but I would suggest not.

Because it's a new pool, you'll know you have 0 CYA.

You'll do your calculation with Jason's calculator and know exactly how much to add. Testing a few days later, you will pat yourself on the back at how accurate your dosage was and that's it....the CYA doesn't vary much, if any, over the Summer so you're done :lol: :lol:

I would love the extra business, but I'll hopefully get it in a couple of years when you need it and that chemistry you get then will be two years fresher.

duraleigh said:
the CYA doesn't vary much, if any, over the Summer

Unless you decide to go with trichlor tabs. I was shocked at how fast our CYA climbed. We started with our new pool at 0 CYA. 2 weeks later it was 20, another 2 weeks it was 35, another 2 and it was 50, next 2 it had reached 60 and then we shut the stupid chlorinator off and went BBB. And this was during the spring with low chlorine usage!! I had heard it took 2 or 3 years for CYA to get too high using trichlor, but we were on a path to exceed normal in just a few months!!! We've been going BBB ever since and things are running smoothly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.