CH low - benefit for exposing pebble aggregate?

Jun 20, 2012
My CH is 170. Before I bump it up to 250 I have a question. I'm not entirely happy with my StoneScapes pebble finish. I think it could have been worked longer to expose more aggregate leaving less plaster exposed. Would leaving the CH at 170 for a while allow for the plaster to wear away a bit? If so, how long should I keep the CH level at its current level? The pool is 6 months old.

In theory, a low pH and low CH would create an environment for calcium to be pulled into solution from the plaster. How long this would take is another question though and I'm not sure how to answer that. My question though is whether or not your plaster is still under warranty? If there is a warranty on the finish or equipment right now, I would be very hesitant to mess with the chemistry in such a fashion that might put that warranty at risk.

Ok. Have you spoken with your builder about your perceptions of the finish and how you think that there isn't enough aggregate exposed?

Yes I did shortly after the pool was filled. He wasn't concerned about the results and I can live with it the way it is but if things would improve over time with a CH of 170 rather than 250 I'd just leave it be for some time. But if there are other possible worse side effects I'll bump it up to 250.

Calcium is only one element in masonry products..... the others will remain when you remove the calcium.

Calcium leeching will VERY likely leave your surface pitted and the opposite of improved.

I have no experience other than what I have seen in my pool but I wouldn't attempt that.

I would bring the CH up to 250 as suggested.

I wouldn't advise maintaining a pool chemistry which promotes erosion of the plaster, I have saw many tiled/plaster pools where the grout and plaster has been eroded and it is not pleasant, some areas will loose lots of plaster whilst other areas will loose little or none, duraleigh is spot on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.