How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

Instead of silicon or epoxy, marine goop is usually extremely durable for these types of applications.

I second that. Worked beautifully - no leaks. I applied it to the inside/water side where the bars were attached, let it cure for 24 hours, and then as a backup seal applied to the holes on the side where the power plug connects. Here's a link for Marine Goop at Amazon.

And thanks to the original author for the great tutorial. Very helpful!

Well it seems to have the same chlorine production from what I read. The ECO feature has little known about it, but from what I have read in one thread around here (I believe the only thread with real info) it should be beneficial. Sorry I dont have the link handy. The biggest advantage is that it does not have the copper feature.

Wow, surprised to see this post back up here after all this time! I'll admit, there are better ways to remove the bars than what I did, it's what I had to work with at 2-3 a.m. when I couldn't sleep one night. I just said, 'Hey, while I'm up, let me go pull those bars out!' They probably don't even need to be removed, but when you struggle with metals in your source water, you tend to want to keep any of them as far from your pool as possible!

I'm glad it seems that Intex isn't putting copper in their SWG's anymore!

Someone linked me to your post to remove the copper bars. Thank you! It worked. I removed the "post" with a small nut driver. I found that 8/32 flat nuts (.07 cents each at the local hardware store) worked great to screw the post back in using the same small nut driver, I did not have anything to seal the holes with. I was then able to "plug" everything back in.

Thank you for this! Had no clue they had copper ionization in my unit until I read through the manual. I was like "wth, they don't say anything about this on the outside of the box! I don't want copper in my TFP."

They must have started putting the copper generators back in the Intex SWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I did everything just like you described but the copper bars are from a brand new intex SWG. I can't get either of them to budge after taking out the screw, It's almost like its also welded into the plastic. Any ideas how to get the copper bars out. Thanks

The copper will only be a problem if the water becomes unbalanced and acidic. Just like a copper heat exchanger, you need to keep the water from becoming corrosive in order for the copper metal to not dissolve. So long as you don't plan to have the pH any lower than 7.2 or you don't do any kind of acid treatments (like ascorbic acid to remove metal stains), then the cooper bars should be ok. It would be best to remove them if you can find a way but I know that some of those units are designed to not be removed and require physical destruction of the housing to get them out.

I would say that if you have the water bonded to the pump and electrical system (not sure if bonding is required in Intex pools), then you might hook the copper bar up to the bonding wire so that it can not float at a potential different than the water...but I would only do that if you're absolutely sure the water is bonded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.