Should I dig?

DJ1962

Apr 21, 2013
Humble, Texas
Hello all, i'm new to TFB and have enjoyed the many post so far. I rent a home in the Houston area, we have seriously considered purchasing an INTEX 12X24X52 pool, I think even I can manage not to mess that project up :-D
My landlord informed me that the previously owner buried his inground pool (perspective buyers didnt want one). The landlord gave the ok to dig and see whats underground (at my own cost), while I am very ccurious to see whats there, i'm cconcerned about the cost. The pool we like will cost around $1100 and another $140 for the salk filter and maybe $200 more for foam and a sturdy extra tarp. What should i do?

I'd stick with the intex, unless you have a really long lease term. Digging out and rehabing a filled in pool can easily (not always) end up costing more than puttin one in from scratch.

Welcome to TFP!

Just to confirm, the reason that you are wanting to dig is to uncover the old pool and determine if it is still useable? If so, the excavation alone will likely be more than $1100. Then, you'll need a pump, filter, and the rest of the trimmings. Do you happen to have the old plans from the install that were left by the previous owner?

There have been various message threads here in the past about people digging out and refurbishing swimming pools, I recall one from a year or two ago regarding a pool in New Orleans, it seems the house the pool was associated with was destroyed in Katrina, a neighbor bought the lot, expanded his yard, dug out and refurbished the pool.

It's a gamble. I worked on a house remodel and saw how they did this one. They punched a hole in the deep end so it would not hold water once filled in. Then they broke the deck into chunks just below the cope and all that went in the pool. It was the topped with dirt and sod.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.