Need advice for correct size AG pump/filter!

seadogg

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2007
Southeast Texas
I’m looking for a new pump and sand filter for my 16x32 AG pool with deep end, approximately 14,000 to 15,000 gals. There is only one discharge jet, but I plan to add at least one more. The original setup (Doughboy) was a 20” filter with a 1.5 HP pump motor, which was recommended by the dealer. Now, I’ve been reading that may be too much pump – and that too much pump is a bad thing. If the pump is properly matched to the filter, how can that be bad for the pool?

The replacement I’m considering is the Hayward Pro Series model S210T93STL, which includes a Power-Flo Matrix, 1.5 HP pump motor with timer and a 21” filter.

I’m in southeast Texas with lots of leaves, pollen from the pine trees and dust from nearby horses (and a son on a 4-wheeler :rant:).

• Is this set-up too big for my pool? The additional cost is not that much greater than a 16” filter and a 1 HP pump.

How does the Hayward unit compare to others?

Thanks

A large pump isn't bad for the pool (unless it is too large for the filter, which is rare). The problem with large pumps is that they are bad for your wallet, the electrical cost to run them is higher than the cost to run a smaller pump, without gaining any advantage in return.

Filters, on the other hand, are better when they are larger, you don't need to clean/backwash them as frequently and they improve the overall system efficiency just a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.