Pool coping will be above deck

Apr 21, 2013
I am re-plastering, putting in new coping, & replacing pool deck. My contractor just told me my deck will be lower than the coping. I don't want to be stubbing my toes. He says my pool was set too high initially fifty years ago. Now I know why they had previously used rocks as coping before. Anyone have suggestions. I am bringing the deck up as high as possible, but can't go higher than my patio doors. I also thought maybe I could create a low spot for a drain between the house and pool. Thanks for helping.

I think the pavers must match the coping height, to have ridge there would be a tripping hazard, don't think it would meet any kind of code.

between the pool & door frame put a deck drain in to get the rain water out.

How much lower than the coping are the pavers? What is the difference in elevation between the coping and the bottom of the door jamb? What is the distance of the door jamb to the coping?

How was rainwater diversion handle before this current redo?

What type of decking was there before?

The pavers might allow for less runoff than say concrete as water can seep through the joints down into the sand/gravel base.

They make various channel type drains, look like little gutters with a grid on top of them. Goggle image search "channel drains", you'll see some situations where they look quite nice.

I would ask them to create a slight slope from the coping to a drain line run and then the pavers level to the doors. More prep work but would eliminate trip hazard and toe stubbing while providing a way to drain splash out or rain off the patio.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.