Pump Station needs OVERHAUL, not enough money to start over

Mar 19, 2012
Nevada City, CA
I have a substantial suction side leak with my pool, to add to her plumbing woes!! I started with cleaning the cartridges and replacing & lubing the filter gasket and the pump lid gasket with virtually no change. I noticed the loud racket the equipment made when I shut it down for the night as the water returned to the pool. (FYI My pump station sits 8-10' above my pool)This morning I opened up the check valve(vertically installed) and noticed right away that no tape had been used on the threads on either end and the bottom threads were filled with mud through and through to the last thread on both parts of the union. When I got it out I saw #1 a small rock, large enough to prevent a good seal, but I also noticed tiny pebbles wedged into the hinge side of the flap assembly against the wall of the clear valve, along with 2 big holes in the gasket which was slimy and falling apart. Obviously, this is a major player in the game I have been playing. I am having trouble uploading any current pics or I would ask if the wear and tear on this valve appears normal for a part that is less than 1 year old. I am considering installing the new FloVis FloMeter/Check valve in its place and I want to know if it should be installed after the turn to the pump sideways or vertically like the old one was and if it would make a difference in my particular situation?

Attachments

• pool1h.jpg
    pool1h.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 144
  • system3.jpg
    system3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 144
Re: Pump Station needs OVERHAUL, not enough money to start o

The FlowVis can be installed in any location convenient for you. Put it where you can read it easily....it does not need any clearances in any direction.

So yesterday I changed out the aquarium valve, with a jandy pool check valve, and I am sooooooooooooo HAPPY to say that the pump stays primed!!!!!! It took less than a minute and water was flowing. Its amazing how installing the correct part fixes an issue created by installing the wrong one!

I think that the Flo Vis will be better served on the return side from the filter to the solar? When I get to that section that is.... I'm still in need of help coming up with an efficient and less confusing layout for the plumbing station........

I agree the flow meter would be more useful right after the filter before the solar valve.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The setup as it sits is so confusing! :| It would make things so much easier if I knew the thought process behind the installation(s)/and /or fixes. Is there a way to do some sort of line test on each run to establish what goes where? From my research I know that if the return for the solar is independent and does not integrate in any way with the other (unheated)plumbing then it is correctly configured. So we have a separate return and yet the waterfall (from the unheated, and thus more pressurized water)shares that return(we think), I think that maybe the guy who upgraded the filter,etc. did not appreciate the fact that he would have to redo the solar plumbing to accommodate the added pressure? Maybe that explains the top of the flow meter blown out? Am I wrong or should this have some sort of flow regulator, when I re-plumb it, instead? As well as figuring out how to isolate the solar without sacrificing my waterfall...is that even possible?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.