Can I run TWO filters?

Apr 10, 2013
Currently we have a Hayward S244T (3.14 sq.ft.) Sand Filter on a 27k gal. pool. It didn't do a very good job last season. Recently the board recommended that the proper filter would be at least 5 sq.ft. So I'm wondering, since I have an identical S244T filter on hand (never been used) could that be plumbed into the circuit and give the same improved performance as going out and spending $600 on a bigger filter. Where the pump outputs the water I would just put a T that would route 1/2 the water into the second filter. Do you see any problem with putting the output of the second filter into the return line with another T, ie. would that cause back pressure into filter#1?

Thanks for any input any of you might have.

As long as the filters are the same as each other you can plumb them in parallel, as you describe, and it will work. The disadvantage is that you now need to backwash and maintain two filters instead of just one.

I would actually suggest maybe using a 3 way valve to split to the 2 filters and have a check valve off of each one before they merge or another 3 way. Then you could isolate each one if necessary for repairs and keep running the other. Or isolate for higher flow backwashing individually.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You can add some DE to your sand for a little finer filtration. 2 filters will extend the time between back washing, cut some head pressure but I think the particle size of the filtration will remain the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.