Sta-Rite 3 DE Filter Cleaning--Union Collar--Stuck

Apr 21, 2013
Halfway into my first-time cleaning of my Sta-Rite 3 DE filter. Have the manual, so far so good. Lid is off but the instructions tell me to remove the screen filter assembly by unscrewing the union collar http://www.poolandspastuff.com/Manuals/StaRite/System 3 DE Owners Manual.pdf page 10.

Two problems, do I turn this counter clockwise? Not sure which way to turn and the collar is really tight and it's tough to get good leverage with my hands since the collar is in-between two of the screens--you don't have much room to maneuver.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

PJ
Austin, TX

wetwilly said:
I have that filter. I'm pretty sure it turns clockwise looking from the top. Sometimes what I do is push the grid assembly a little counter-clockwise to help get the union loose.

I hope this helps.
I would agree.

The instructions say nothing about left-hand threads, so it would be the standard lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. Viewed from the top, which would be from below if you were the union collar, that would be clockwise.

Just to echo what the others said, it definitely is clockwise. Your going to need a pipe wrench for sure those fittings are always difficult to get off.

Thanks folks. Clockwise it was and had to borrow a wrench from the neighbor--those things are tight.

Filter cleaning went well and the O-ring around the filter top looked to be in good shape but darn if there isn't a small drip coming from it now. Can't really see where exactly but hoping maybe it will stop (it does look like it has slowed) because I really don't feel like taking that lid off again . . . :?

PJRider said:
Thanks folks. Clockwise it was and had to borrow a wrench from the neighbor--those things are tight.

Filter cleaning went well and the O-ring around the filter top looked to be in good shape but darn if there isn't a small drip coming from it now. Can't really see where exactly but hoping maybe it will stop (it does look like it has slowed) because I really don't feel like taking that lid off again . . . :?

I have the same Filter, and had a big issue with this when I first took it apart to clean. I tried a general pipe wrench and basically stripped it. So I got a strap wrench which has worked great. When you put it back on, make sure you don't over tighten (just hand tighten) and you won't have this problem next time.

But isn't "righty tighty" clockwise? I am having this exact same problem (and have same filter), but to me, if I want to loosen, and most here say clockwise, that's "to the right", no? Pretty sure I am going to have to buy a strap wrench to get the thing off as it is TIGHT.

BruceInCola said:
But isn't "righty tighty" clockwise? I am having this exact same problem (and have same filter), but to me, if I want to loosen, and most here say clockwise, that's "to the right", no? Pretty sure I am going to have to buy a strap wrench to get the thing off as it is TIGHT.
It depends on if you're looking at things from one end or the other. The end it comes off of will be counterclockwise. But looking at it from above, it looks clockwise.

I turned wrenches for too many years, I guess. Legs over the seat back, twisted sideways, arm behind my back, working by feel, I still instinctively know which way to turn with thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.