Copper ion / Pristine Blue?

Petie

Apr 21, 2013
I have had my pool for about 10 years - 18 by 38 vinyl liner diving depth. I developed a severe allergic skin reaction to the chlorine based chemicals and would get large blisters all over the exposed skin. I quit using the chlorine tablets and built my own copper ion system supplemented with Pristine Blue and shocked weekly with the largest bottles I can get of "Clorox". I understand copper doesn't kill anything other than algae and that is what I fight here in Southern Louisiana as my pool easily gets into the mid 90s in late summer. I had always struggled to keep algae controlled with straight chlorine and have far better luck with copper. I now think the allergic reaction was probably from the additives in the tablets rather than the chlorine itself but not totally sure.

Anyhow, is what I am doing with the liquid chlorine sufficient to kill the bad stuff? Is there a better source of liquid copper? I know there is no love for Pristine Blue here but it does work in my usage for algae control for the last 3 years with the additional occasional use of my copper ionizer - no staining or green hair.
Thanks. Pete

Petie,

Please read Pool school at the top right. You will find that we advocate using Bleach. Bleach is chlorine. You will learn you can use it to keep us your FC to the proper levels and not need to shock the pool weekly.
In the end you will spend more time enjoying your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.