New pool install

Apr 19, 2013
Got a freebie AGP last year (THANK YOU CRAIGSLIST). Worked great. Did a poor install.... WAY UNLEVEL!!!! probably by a foot. <---- It didn't "fail" and we didn't die... So we got that going for us.... :)

Bought a 18x9 and plan to do a proper install this year. As noted we are slightly unlevel in the area we want to put this. I will "dig it down" to the proper level, but based on the recommendations I have seen on this website I am looking for a little help, as I would like this to be a permanent install - versus my half Rear job last year.

This is my current "plan"... if you can call it that!

Digout a "level" space that is within a 1' of what I need.

Get a few yards of decomposed granite - from a local yard (or even better it looks like some people on Craigslist are gifting it) - An inch or less of DG total hopefully to keep it easy and cheap.

Get a plate tamper to pack it down

Throw down a small amount of sand for the ultimate in levelness?

Carpet - indoor/outdoor that we have left over from last year for under the pool

Tarp - what was provided for the "under pool cover"

Pool

Stick the pool feet on pavers

Does anybody see any issue with this/suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Only thing I see that I might want to do is stick some pressure treated lumber around the edge to hold in the DG? Or am I wasting my time/money with such a little amount of DG? The dirt under the DG has been there for eons.

Welcome to TFP!

Only thing that jumped out at me was the use of carpet. Previous discussion recommended against it due to possible mildew/mold and smell as it rots. Although I also remember a post where someone used it and later pulled the pool down and noted no problems with the carpet. So, up to you. Might depend on the type of carpet and how wet it gets.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If you "dig it down"..........you may not need any other material than the sand. I wouldn't count on using sand as a "leveler" either. Sand is used to kinda protect the liner and give you a little cushy feeling. Spray for any nutgrass or other wild things that might protrude into the liner. Scratch the carpet idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.