What are the negatives about SWG pool systems?

I bought a house that has a SWG system in the pool.
I know the benefits of the system over chlorine types, but I can't seem to find any negatives, mainly relating to the parts of the pool, ie: pump, filter, water likes, liner, etc. the only negative I found about the SWG systems is that it really eats away at the heater (which I found out the hard way)

I know that they are more expensive then chlorine systems as far as hardware, and replacing parts go, but I have tried searching high and low about the mega rice about the system on the different part of the pool.

If anyone has a link or more info, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some more potential negatives that I can think of:

• SWG cause a steady rise in ph, though this can be minimized by lowering TA.
    The salt water can be a problem for soft stonework.
    Improper metals or improperly treated metals near/at the pool may rust.
    Cell needs to be replaced (3-5 years typically).
    Some people can taste the salt and some of those do not like it.
    Since swgs run best at higher cya levels, if an algae outbreak occurs (less common), then it take more chlorine to get rid of it.
    Ease/automation of swg use can lure the person in charge of pool maintenance into testing less often then needed, and that can lead to problems.
    Steeper learning curve compared to bleach/liquid chlorine use (imo).

With that said, I like my swg :goodjob:

No, there is no risk to the liner, pipes, pump, filter, heater, etc from salt at the usual SWG levels. Only the metal frame of the pool (if your frame is metal) is at any risk, and having problems there is highly unusual. I'm not sure why you think there is danger for the heater, heaters are only really at risk from low PH or ocean water salt levels, not SWG salt levels.

Multiple people have told me that the salt eats away at the inners of the heater, the old owner told me he has never had any problems with the pool, levels have never been an issue, except for the heater, it is all rusted out on the insides and I've heard that heaters only last for 5 years on a salt water pool.

Nearly all heater damage that occurs is from low PH. We have never had a member who ever had any actual damage to their heater from using salt. There have been a couple of third hand stories passed around, but none of them were accompanied by enough information to evaluate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.