Need help finding a replacement IG Skimmer

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
As some of you know I have spent a while chasing a suction side leak, I tracked it down and it turned out to be under ground, I thought I had it beat with Marlig liquid fix a leak, but it seems to have sprung again today, so I guess it is time to break out the jack hammer.

While I am at it I plan upgrade my suction line to 2 inch and to also trench in an additional return eyeball to be plumbed in about 2 or 3 feet from the skimmer as structual issues require the excavation to from the existing skimmer to take an L shaped path to the edge of the concrete slab. (existing plumbing is 1.5 inch PVC plumbed on a single loop, skimmer only no floor drain, I hope adding an additional 1.5 inch return line and 2 inch suction line will help with some existing circulation issues even with the return so near the skimmer)

Now down to the problem the pool is a wood frame vinyl liner pool built about 33 years ago, I think the existing (original) skimmer is a Hayward brand skimmer (see photo below, sorry it was taken with my phone), it is a wide mouth model and measures 18.25 inches wide and just under 8 3/4 inches tall (water line is near the mid point) It has a total of 16 screws on the face plate, otherwise I know little about it, there are 2 pipe fittings on the bottom of the skimmer both 1.5 inch, one of these is plugged.

I don't know if my leak is in the bottom of the skimmer or somewhere else along the line, so I think it best just to replace everything, as I don't want to have to go back and do this again. Ideally I would like to go back with a matching size or larger skimmer and plumb it with 2 inch PVC, however I seem to be running into a bit of a problem, I can't seem to find anyone that makes a similar sized wide mouth skimmer with 2 inch fittings for wood framed vinyl pools, they seem to make them for just about every other configuration though.

So do you have any advice, the current liner still has a good bit of life left so I am trying to pick option that will let me save it.

thanks Ike

Attachments

• poolskimmer.jpg
    poolskimmer.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 49
p.s. I am fairly sure I have identified my current skimmer as a Hayward SP-10852 or SP-10851

also so far it seems NO ONE makes a wide mouth skimmer for vinyl pools with a 2 inch pipe fitting, this is crazy they make the same series for fiberglass, gunite, etc wide mouth and 2 inch, but not for vinyl, I have found some standard width vinyl liner skimmers with 2 inch fittings so it is not a no 2 inch fittings for vinyl liner skimmers....

That is a thought, but would probably have to involve doing mix and match comparison in a well stocked store, unfortunately it seems haywards online documentation, product drawings, etc. are a bit lacking. I did find reference to what might be or might have been a 2 inch wide mouth version the Hayward SP10853, but it was just one reference in a Hayward install manual, and no other searches report it as existing.

I would not think having the 1.5" fitting at the skimmer would be that big of a deal if you immediately expand to 2" pipe.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.