Did I do something wrong with my salt?

cheezedawg

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Our pool was built last year. I have a salt cell and last year I measured the salt at ~3400ppm and the salt cell was working great, and we could hardly taste any salt in the water. I live in a fairly moderate climate so I didn't have to fully close the pool for the winter (just removed the salt cell and did some extra cleanup). The pool was uncovered and we continued to use the hot tub. It rained a lot during the winter, but the pool never overflowed that I saw.

I was expecting the salt and calcium hardness to be close to unchanged from last year (where would the salt and calcium have gone?), but both had dropped significantly. In the case of salt, it was down to ~2000ppm. I even bought new salt test strips to verify. So I went to the pool calculator and got the amount of salt to add, and I added that a few weeks ago. Now I measure 3400ppm again. But now there is a noticeable salty taste to the water. Its not horrible and I doubt my kids will even notice.

Did I do something wrong? Why the difference?

Do you have an autofill valve that i on? If you do, it i possible that you have a leak and don't know it. If you have an autofill, what is the ch of your fill water?

Since both salt and CH dropped it is unlikely it is both test methods being in error.

I have an autofill valve but I turned it off for the winter. The pool water level did drop a little after I turned it off but with the rain it never got down more than an inch or two. I'll retest the ch of the water supply- as I recall from last year it was rather high (~400).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.