Lithium hypochlorite

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
A colleague at work uses BioGuard with 29% Lithium hypochlorite, and he swears by it. I've been using the granules (pucks less frequently due to stabilizer build up), but he gave me a couple of one pound BioGuard Lithium hypochlorite bags to try. Aside from the insane cost, does anyone know if this stuff is all that superior to the traditional non-stabilized granules?

Thanks!

Liquid chlorine is far superior to all solid forms because it only adds FC.

What granules do you normally use, because they are either adding CYA or CH, both of which are bad if they get too high.

The lithium is fine if you have money to burn.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Liquid chlorine is far superior to all solid forms because it only adds FC.

What granules do you normally use, because they are either adding CYA or CH, both of which are bad if they get too high.

The lithium is fine if you have money to burn.

I don't recall the brand of granules, as I'm out and was going to buy some more. I do know they did not contain CYA, but they did contain CH. As for liquid chlorine, I've heard the same, but for a 17,000 gallon pool, I understood that I'd essentially be stocking up on a ton of bleach each week.

What type of liquid chlorine do you suggest (just Chlorox bleach), and how many gallons do you suggest per day for a 17k gallon pool? Thanks.

That is a little smaller than my pool. I currently use about 1/2 bottle (122oz bottle) of the 8.25% bleach per day. I use the Walmart brand.

If the water is clean, using about 2-3ppm of FC per day normal ... regardless of the type of chlorine used. Also generally the liquid is cheaper per ppm than any other form.

Thanks for the info. I think switching to liquid chlorine makes most sense. That said, we have a pebbletec pool, and the CH in the granules have, of course, caused some staining on the bottom of the pool. This is our first pool, and I didn't appreciate the staining that would come from CH or the CYA issues with the pucks. I've been learning (the hard way) as I go. :hammer:

Back to the original point, the liquid bleach won't stain the pebbletec any further, will it? That's one reason my colleague recommended lithium.

Many thanks! :cheers:

It will not stain if you pour it slowly in front of a return jet and leave they pump on for about an hour after any chemical addition.

The pucks and Dichlor are very acidic and that is what stains the pool if it sits on the bottom.

jblizzle said:
It will not stain if you pour it slowly in front of a return jet and leave they pump on for about an hour after any chemical addition.

The pucks and Dichlor are very acidic and that is what stains the pool if it sits on the bottom.

Great, thank you. Liquid bleach it is!

As an aside, will the stains caused by the CH ever go away, so that the pebbletec's color returns? The stains are mainly in the deep end, as I would throw the granules in that area. My wife is pretty upset, bc she liked the pebbletec color she chose. We have a pool vac that is constantly sweeping that area, but I'm afraid the pebbletec color has simply "bleached out", and it's irreversible at this point.

Thanks.

Staining can almost always be improved or eliminated but you have to identify the stain accurately first. If you can post a complete set of test results, it will give us some idea of the stains and what to do about them.

duraleigh said:
Staining can almost always be improved or eliminated but you have to identify the stain accurately first. If you can post a complete set of test results, it will give us some idea of the stains and what to do about them.

Ok, thanks. My neighbor insists the whitish stain is from the CH granules, which is why he recommended lithium. But I'll post test results when I test again.

My neighbor insists the whitish stain is from the CH granules, which is why he recommended lithium
They might be, but unless your neighbor has completed ACCURATE test results on your pool, he is just guessing....just like we would be at this point.

Secondly, the lithium hypo will do nothing towards removing the stains and it is simply not necessary to spend the money on lithium to maintain your pool unless you just want to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From time to time, I have used lithium hypochlorite. Sometimes I can get it on sale for around $4 a pound. I like using it sometimes when it is late in the season and my CH is getting highish. Lithium, as a metal, is inert in pools and won't stain like iron or deposit like calcium.

Lol ... Went to the pool store today to buy a new pool brush. The guy asked if I needed chlorine or anything else. I told him, no, I'm using Walmart liquid bleach now and saving a ton. He looked irritated and said, "we don't recommend that." Of course he doesn't recommend it. It's cutting into their revenue. :blah:

:goodjob: That is fun.

If I happen to go to the pool store, I try really hard not to hear what they are saying to other people or to open my mouth.
I really should print some TFP business cards to hand to people in the parking lot. :lol:

Even better, my wife was with me, and she said, after we left, "are you sure about the bleach?" His comment made her nervous. I told her to wait, and I showed her this forum and all the recommendations to use liquid bleach. She didn't have any more questions. :party:

My wife almost flipped out as well. When I told her about using bleach she was like NO WAY are the kids and I going to swim in bleach!!! A little splainin and finally now she is doing the daily testing and adding bleach.

jblizzle said:
My wife almost flipped out as well. When I told her about using bleach she was like NO WAY are the kids and I going to swim in bleach!!! A little splainin and finally now she is doing the daily testing and adding bleach.

Ha! My wife said nearly the same thing! She said it's too dangerous to jump in a pool full of bleach. LOL!

Just tell your wife what I tell my wife. "If you would just get to knowin' what I know, then you'll know so much more that you didn't know before. You know?"

:mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.