AGP installed today!! What is permasalt??

I just want to reiterate something I said before:
JasonLion said:
All swimming pool sanitation systems in the US must include a residual level of an approved sanitizer (Chlorine, Bromine, or Baquacil in the US) to be safe for swimming. The PermaSalt system adds chlorine once every two weeks. After a couple of days, the chlorine is gone, and there is no longer any residual sanitizer and the pool is not safe.
If you want to take risks like that in your private pool that is your business, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are far more enjoyable ways to risk your life, if that is the kind of thing you are in to.

Chlorine, used properly, is not harsh at all. If you use a SWG, in the manner described in our Pool School article on water balance for SWG pools, you will get all of the benefits attributed to the Perma Salt system: the wonderful skin feel, crystal clear water, no problems at all with red eyes or hair damage, for about the same total cost and with less effort than the Perma Salt system requires, and your pool will actually be safe to swim in.

Kathi52 said:
Because I haven't posted in awhile I will just state that I opened my pool (and yes have the Perma Salt System) in May. It was sparkling clean with just a tad bit of dirt on the bottom. The alkilinity was high but always is when first opening. It was easily remedied and I went from there. I have not had ANY problems since opening; cya, ph, alkilinity all testing just fine. I will say it is expensive on start up but most people who have this system realize that. So, if you can't afford this system, then by all means go with something else. I am with Fishman on this because chlorine is too harsh for me as well. My best friend has a chlorine pool and is constantly buying chemicals. That is something I don't have to do. I just buy what I need for the season and that's it...every two weeks. The nice thing is...I have never had to battle with algea or any discoloration. And another thing...my cartridge lasts all summer long. In any case, so far so good! Many people have commented on how good their skin feels, no stinging or red eyes and how clear the water is. And, no, no one has gotten sick LOL! Last but not least, it is worth it to me even if it may be more expensive, not to have to battle with the issues I see so many posting here. And I don't purchase a lot of pool toys since my child is grown and gone. "I" use my pool more for aqua therapy which is why we purchased it in the first place.

interesting that you say you only have to buy chemicals for the season for what you need. The only thing I have purchased this year is two boxes of borax, and two cases of liquid chlorine every two to three weeks. What could be easier. My kids swim without goggles, and no one's eyes sting. My daughter has a friend from Florida staying with her this week and she commented about how her eyes always sting, and her eyes didn't sting in my pool. And do you know what my FC was yesterday...7.5...while they were swimming. Well beyond the poolstore reccommendation of 2-3 ppm. It is always between 5 and 7 ppm...there is never any problem. I have spent about $40 dollars so far this season and I have been open since middle of April...swimming since the end of may.

here is a video i found on youtube about perma salt systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXBKroNnnI

this system raises copper so make sure you use those copper test strips they gave you so u dont get green hair!!
from watching the video it seems to me that its an extra way for the pool company to get money.. with this you have to buy chemicals every other week on top of your regular maintanence chemicals... I use the BBB method but only have to use bleach b/c everything else is stabalized....

the perma salt system doesnt sanitize. people on here are talking about only buying P.S. chemicals and thats it. u have to also sanitize your pool or your gonna be swimming in every persons body dirt/oils... disgusting!!!!!! i would deff. start putting in a sanitizer!!!!!!!!!!!! BBB all the waayyy!!

rsharp said:
the perma salt system doesnt sanitize. people on here are talking about only buying P.S. chemicals and thats it. u have to also sanitize your pool or your gonna be swimming in every persons body dirt/oils... disgusting!!!!!! i would deff. start putting in a sanitizer!!!!!!!!!!!! BBB all the waayyy!!

The first minute of the video by this huckster in the red hat...says that you have to add the algecide as you are adding water to your new pool to protect the water until the permasalt system brings the water up to the proper copper level...Bells and Whistles need to be going off right there...Copper...Bad...Look at the stack of permasalt products stacked behind the red hatted guy...I bet you have to buy all of that for the system to work too? Right???? :blah:

it doesnt seem worth it to me.. its already hooked up to their pool. i wonder if u could just leave it hooked up but turn it off? as long as you keep your chlorine at proper levels you dont have to worry about algae anyways. plus someone said it makes their water soft. ive seen posts on here where people put salt in their non-swg pool and it works great.

rsharp said:
it doesnt seem worth it to me.. its already hooked up to their pool. i wonder if u could just leave it hooked up but turn it off? as long as you keep your chlorine at proper levels you dont have to worry about algae anyways. plus someone said it makes their water soft. ive seen posts on here where people put salt in their non-swg pool and it works great.

I had an N-2 which was a cartridge sanitizer and just disconnected it. Didn't want it didn't need it...BBB works just fine!...And I have gone on vacation for two weeks and never worried about my pool and needing to add anything while I was gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.