How do I configure GVA 24 valve actuators?

Apr 20, 2013
I have just installed 3 GVA valve actuators onto my pool valves, and I am using a new Hayward Pro Logic system to control them. The issue that I am having is that they just don't do anything? I need to program them to the placements that I need for pool, and for spa, and for both? But for the life of me can't find any programming/configuration instructions. I would be really appreciative if someone was able to help.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

First make sure that the valve actuators are installed correctly. There is a small switch on the bottom of the actuator that has three positions. In the middle position it is off, and to either side it should turn in one direction or the other. If they don't turn as you move the switch around then something is wired incorrectly.

The pool/spa suction and return actuators should work without programming as long as your controller is setup to know you have a pool and a spa. The third actuator will need to be programmed to do anything before it will move in response to control panel actions.

Just to add the Pro Logic manuals are readily found on the Hayward website. I am guessing though that the problem is the switch Jason mentioned being in the off position.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I really appreciate the help. The actuators do work and I can move them into position manually with the switches, it's the programming of them that I can't do, as Jason described that they would need to be programmed, that's what I am asking how to do. How do I program them? I do have the manuals downloaded onto my iPad and still I can't make sense of it.

I just skimmed thru the pro logic manual and it seems pretty straight forward. What are you wanting to know?
You have 3 valves and as Jason said, two of them are naturally programmed and you don't need to do anything to them. The third one should go to valve3 on the controller and then you can program it to operate as you need it to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am still not clear what you are trying to control. If you offer a lot more information about your pool setup and what you are trying to accomplish we may be able to help ... but we do not have eyes on the problem, so can only base recommendations on what you tell us ... so far that is very little.

There are 2 manuals, installation and owners. Both are pretty straight forward on how to program the unit. If that is not working then maybe there is a hardware problem.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Pool-only or Spa-only systems: The POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER button has no function.
Standard Pool and Spa systems without spa spillover: In pool-only mode (“POOL” LED illuminated), press the “POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER” button to switch to spa-only operation (“SPA” LED illuminated). Pressing the “POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER” button again will switch back to pool-only. Note that the filter pump will turn off while the pool/spa valves are turning.
Standard Pool and Spa systems with spa spillover: When currently in the pool-only mode (“POOL” LED illuminated), press the “POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER” button to switch to spa-only operation (“SPA” LED illuminated). Press the button again to switch to spa spillover operation (“SPILLOVER” LED illuminated). Pressing the “POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER” button again will switch back to pool-only mode. Note that the filter pump will turn off while the pool/spa valves are turning.
Dual Equipment Pool and Spa systems without spa spillover: The POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER button has no function. The “POOL” LED will always be illuminated.
Dual Equipment Pool and Spa systems with spa spillover: When currently in the separate Pool and Spa loops mode (“POOL” LED illuminated) and the Spa Filter is off, press the POOL/SPA/SPILLOVER button to switch to spa spillover operation (“SPILLOVER” LED illuminated). Press the POOL/SPA/ SPILLOVER button again to return to the separate Pool and Spa loops mode of operation. Note that the Pool Filter pump will shut off while the pool/spa return valve is turning. The system will automatically switch out of spillover whenever the spa filter pump is turned on.
Note: For Dual Equipment Pool and Spa systems, there is no Spa Only mode.

I don't see a straight forward way of programming the valve actuators. Sorry guys, I really appreciate the help, but no where in here does it say how to program. Is it fair to assume that the actuators just open from one side to the other, and that there is no way to program them to stop in a certain configuration?

I'm trying to switch my pool/spa to just spa. Three valves. Valve one pool drain and skimmer, valve 2 spa drain and suction, valve 3 on the return to pool is one side pool, other spa return. Is it just a matter of positioning them on top to open and close where I need them? Or that I need to program them in the prologic?

Are you looking at the Operation manual or the installation manual?

First you have the valve attached incorrectly. You have to do it this way:
Valve 1 = pool/spa return
Valve 2 = pool/spa suction
Valve 3 can be the pool drain / skimmer, although I have no idea why you would need that automated.

Next all the Pro Logic tells them is to turn one direction or the other. There are stops located in the actuator that tell the valve when to stop turning. The controller can not tell it to move a little this time and then a little more, etc. They always turn to the stops.

So, if by "programming the actuators" you meant how to make them move a certain distance ... that is not in the Pro Logic, that is with the stops in the actuator itself.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions as I have the manuals sitting right here ... you have the P4 or the PS4?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

imagedzuq.jpg

This as the way the pool was built, we recently re plumbed all the pipes as they were leaking, and valves were broken.

On the right, intake of the pool drain/skimmer - left of that spa drain and suction intake both into the same pipe to the pump, so I need the pool drain skimmer valve to turn off when I put it in spa only mode. Then I need the second valve on the left to close the suction and open the spa drain, (that one may be easy not really sure) and then on the far left out of the heater there is one valve that is spa return and then pool return, which will need to be shut off to the pool return when in spa only mode. I really just want to be able to switch from pool/spa- spillover mode to spa only mode, turn on the heater(which is done already) and do it all from my remote.

I really don't know the answer to all those questions, I didn't build it, or have it built, it was with the house I bought and I am learning. I am pretty handy and did all the other installs myself, wiring the prologic PS4 and piping, setting up the heater, etc. so I have a good idea of what I'm doing, just can't figure this one out,

What I can figure out is, it seems that the actuators don't stop half way, that are open or closed, which means that I may need to reposition them on the actual valve to archive the result that I want, I may be wrong. Is the configuration in the Configurations Menu?

Sorry for being a pain, maybe I just need to pay someone to do it, just seemd like defeat if I do everything but this one thing!!

I edited your link so it showed up.

Ugh ... what an odd configuration (to put it nicely). I am not sure if what you are looking to do is possible. So you need all 3 valves to turn to go between spa and pool? I was looking at the P4 manual, I may have to look at the PS4 to see if maybe a macro button could be used to turn all 3 valves.

There are stops inside the actuator that you will have to change to only get a 90 degree turn. The valve on the right could be a problem as you are wanting to turn the valve (even without the actuator) to an orientation that is usually not wanted. There may be some physical stops that you will need to remove from the valve itself.

There really is not much you can "configure" in the PS4. It is really more just telling it that you have X actuators and what each is used for and when you want them to move.

I may have to think about this and look through the manual again.

You biggest problem is the way the suction side valves are done ... that could be a problem. So you have 2 suction lines from the spa? Why to you need to change that valve position? I do not understand that part.

I still want to know what the 2 suction lines are from the skimmer ... think you may be able to just leave that valve un-automated.

But, I think you could do what you want by setting up a Group Function (page 15 on the operation manual). You could make it so that when you push the Valve 3 button, the Pool/Spa button switches to Spa Only mode and Valve 3 turns and set a heater temp. That would allow all 3 valves to turn using 1 button push. But, you will have to adjust the stops in the actuators to make sure the valves will turn and stop where you want them.

No 2 auctions. On the right one pipe is pool drain, one from skimmer. On the middle, one is suction, one is spa drain. So, ok...in the actuator manual it talks about cam adjustment, is that what you are talking about? That allows me to set the actuator to stop where I want it?

The first valve I can change the position on the top so,that it will just completely open the pool/skimmer intake and then completely close it, the same with the spa/suction valve, completely open then completely closed. Then the last valve, that one i think I will need to open up as you stated so that it can stop on a 90degree.. It will just need to go one way to close the pool return and then back to a 90 to leave both returns open. Does any of my crazy babbling make sense? I just need to research what you were talking about with the valve 3 button. May have to get the engineer wife in on that one...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.