Three way Jandy Valve setting

Mar 18, 2012
Lewisville, Texas
I think I understand what the valve does and how to set it in general, but I'm not sure what the different uses are.

Currently I have a 3-way Jandy Valve which when set toward the direction of the pool has the suction line on with the skimmers off and the opposite side would be suction off and the skimmers on.

I have two main drains, but I don't think they are connecting because no matter which way the Jandy Valve is set there doesn't seem to be any suction at the main drain. I understand that there are two drains in order to lessen the suction...but I don't feel anything at all coming from them regardless of valve position.

So either the main drains are both completely clogged or the main drain line isn't connected to the system at all.

Anyway my question is what are the different reasons for wanting the skimmer off or the suction off. Also is an in between position doing anything? I'm wondering where the Jandy Valve should be set for general circulation and cleaning respectively.

http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6209

I was going to use this picture for a demonstration of what my setup is like, but I think it answered some of my questions. The one I hadn't asked yet..being if I set the valve in between does it shutoff one side some and open up the other side more.

If I understand right putting the Jandy Valve in the middle will have both skimmers and the suction line with the same flow rate while putting the valve in between either section gives more flow to one of the sides.

If I put the Jandy Valve at a 45 degree angle toward the skimmer side that means the suction line will have 75% flow and the skimmer 25% while if I put it at an angle toward the suction line it'll be the opposite....(or it might be the exact opposite of what I said lol)

Do I have that right? Hope all that made sense....

Opposite the handle says "OFF" that is what is off. If the handle points at the middle pipe making the OFF not pointing at anything, then both suction lines are open. You can adjust the OFF to partly point at either side to lower that suction.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

There's a good chance the main drains are tied into the skimmers. Look inside, beneath the baskets. If there are two holes, one will have suction and the other will go to the drain. There should be a flying-saucer-looking thing in there with a flap that lets you adjust the balance between skimmer and drain. There's a picture in the Visual Encyclopedia. It's called a Diverter. If yours is missing, they're about ten bucks.

jblizzle said:
Opposite the handle says "OFF" that is what is off. If the handle points at the middle pipe making the OFF not pointing at anything, then both suction lines are open. You can adjust the OFF to partly point at either side to lower that suction.

I think you just confirmed that I was right on how it worked. Good. Is there and advantage to having less suction on one and more on the other in either direction?

Would it be better to have 75% for the skimmer and 25% on the dedicated pool cleaner suction line or 25% for the skimmer and 75% for the dedicated pool cleaner suction line...or the last option where its 50%/50% and they are both open the same amount?

Richard320 said:
There's a good chance the main drains are tied into the skimmers. Look inside, beneath the baskets. If there are two holes, one will have suction and the other will go to the drain. There should be a flying-saucer-looking thing in there with a flap that lets you adjust the balance between skimmer and drain. There's a picture in the Visual Encyclopedia. It's called a Diverter. If yours is missing, they're about ten bucks.

There are two holes below the skimmer baskets if I remember, but no diverter is there so is that a problem? Do I have to have a diverter? If I don't have a diverter and the main drains appear to have no suction does that mean its clogged than?

Suction cleaners have an ideal range for suction. You set that and whatever is left is for the skimmer. Usually there is a little gauge that can be put in the hose line to determine the correct amount of suction for the cleaner.

Adding the diverter would allow you to put some suction to the floor. It is also a safety devices to protect the pump if the water drops below the skimmer. It is not a requirement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.