Pool Plumbing

Feb 22, 2013
hi guys, i'm hard plumbing an above ground pool 18'X24'X52" and need to know should I use 1 1/2" or 2" pvc. I have a 2 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayword EC40ac DE filter, Proline inline chlorinator, Raypac 181,000 BTU heater, and what size return eyeball should I use. The pipe run will be about 10-12' from the pool. thanks for your help

I think you may have too much pump for the Hayward EC40, you may end up having to run the pump on low speed all the time if your going to running all the flow through that filter, or bypass with part of the flow which really does not make much sense to do.

Ike

p.s. my 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy pump is pushing the upper flow limits of my EC75 when on high

Well, back to answering your question......A short run like 10' will have very little affect on the efficiency of your circulatory system so I would use 2" if it was just as easy but I would be satisfied using 1.5" if installing the 2" was more difficult.

YOur 2-speed pump run on low will be just fine for your pool. It's overkill on high but my assumption is you intend to use the low setting for normal filtering and, if necessary, high for vacuuming or perhaps backwashing.

Do you just have one return?

My big concern here is that the Hayward Perflex DE filters like the EC-40 do not tolerate overpressure very well, and I suspect serious overpressure is what you will have if you ever turn that pump onto high connected to the EC-40 which is designed for a maximum operating flow rate of 38 GPM, one quick check on the waterway web site shows at least one 2 HP 2 speed model that is capable of flowing 160 GPM on high, and capable of flowing over 40GPM at 60 ft of head..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.