How much sand to put in a Hayward GM series pool filter

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I don't have the manual or documentation. It says "Hayward GM Series" "High flow filteration". It's a sand based filter. I want to replace all the sand with new.... I can bareley make out the model number It says 2XXXXX. Is there a general rule for this. Also who sells the sand?

That is what I have found as well (50 lbs that is). Yes that is a very small filter at 1.23 sq. ft. We would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter for your 14000 gallon pool.

By the way, I agree with Bama that changing sand is rarely warranted.

linen said:
That is what I have found as well (50 lbs that is). Yes that is a very small filter at 1.23 sq. ft. We would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter for your 14000 gallon pool.

By the way, I agree with Bama that changing sand is rarely warranted.

Thanks, My fear was the filter was small, takes quite some time to filter the water. Now I'm in the market for a new filter. I'm looking at filters on craigslist. Should I stick with Hayward or some other brand. Hayward seems pretty common. Also does the pump need changing. The pump is an A.O. Smith, don't know much about it (can find out though). Also with filter recomendataions does it matter how big it is, Is bigger always better. Example if I get something larger than 2.6sq ft?

Within reason, you want the biggest filter you can get. With sand filters, the only issue with getting a huge filter is that your pump may not be able to backwash it properly. Post the info on your pump and we'll know more.

It doesn't matter which brand you get, but if there are more dealers of one brand than another in your area, it's usually a good idea to go with that brand because parts will likely be more readily available.

That is the motor information, do you see another model number for the pump...it is often on the same label as the motor model number...and in this case since the filter is Hayward the pump might be a Hayward number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like a Hayward Powerflo 1 hp to me. If it is, then it should be fine for your pool, but a little too much for you existing filter. If you do look for a new (or used) filter in the 2.6 sq. ft. size range, that pump should be able to backwash it fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.