Glass Pack Filter Media

Mar 18, 2012
Lewisville, Texas
http://www.ecosmarte.com/

I noticed on the page with filter comparisons that Glass Pack filter media isn't mentioned. It appears they work similar to sand filters, but with better filtration because of smaller particles. I've read various problems with the Ecosmarte system in regards to sanitation, and people saying its harder to balance pool chemicals with it.

Are the Glass Pack Filters also not any good? Anyone have any experience using one? The filter comparisons page did an good job of explaining differences in sand, DE, and cartridge but I'm still not sure which I should go with.

I'm thinking we will probably want to either get a new cartridge filter or change filters soon, but I'm still not sure what the best one would be.

http://www.glasspackfilter.com/?view=benefits

http://www.glasspackfilter.com/?view=filters

The benefits page sounds good, but considering its from the company selling I'm trying to research it to make sure its a good idea.

We recommend using sand. It is well understood, inexpensive, eco friendly, and reliable. Glass filters are too young and haven't really proven themselves yet. I've heard some good things and a couple of horror stories, and would rather let the technology settle out for a while and see if the problems were early technology problems or fundamental to the design.

Which of the three common kinds of filter to use is mostly a personal preference. All three work very well for many people.

Thanks for the response that was fast. I read the Glass Pack media can actually be used in most sand filters so I suppose I could get a sand filter and switch to Glass Pack later if I feel its a good idea. Could you direct me to the horror stories or were none of them Internet postings. I'm curious what the problems are.

On an unrelated note I'd like to know if my plan of action is good on getting my pool water clear. I just used Natural Chemistry's pool first aid and than realized I should probably fix the pool chemistry first. So what I should do is add CYA to 30 ppm since its at 0 add Chlorine because its at 0 and than adjust ph down because its at 8 something. After all of that I should try the First Aid again. I don't know why I didn't think to fix the chemicals before using the first aid.....

Does that sound like the right plan?

Also I recently cleaned my filter, but stopped before the water was completely clear. I guess that means it wasn't completely cleaned...I used the hose around the entire cartridge for several minutes, but it never became completely clear. I suppose with a cartridge I'm reducing efficiency if I don't wait till its completely clear to put the cartridges back into the filter.

One more thing...keep on coming up with questions ... lol My pool filter's pressure guage is reading at much less than 10 and I think my mom said that it was supposed to be at 10 when running...but I'm not sure if that was at speed setting 3 on the pump or what. Whats the best way to determine if things are running like they should? Speed setting 3 is 2500 RPM. Its a 22000 gallon pool.

Glass as a filter media is a well established and proven technology. Glass is a common filter media in Europe and Australia, and is gaining acceptance in the United States, especially on the West Coast. Yes, I'm biased because I sell Vitroclean, the only glass filter media in the US that is performance tested to NSF Standard 50. We've been manufacturing Vitroclean for over 15 years and have thousands of pools that use Vitroclean. --- Jeff

VitroClean said:
Glass as a filter media is a well established and proven technology. Glass is a common filter media in Europe and Australia, and is gaining acceptance in the United States, especially on the West Coast. Yes, I'm biased because I sell Vitroclean, the only glass filter media in the US that is performance tested to NSF Standard 50. We've been manufacturing Vitroclean for over 15 years and have thousands of pools that use Vitroclean. --- Jeff

What's the difference between Glass Pack and VitroClean. Is it something besides being tested to NSF Standard 50 whatever that is?

I'll go look that up because I don't have any clue what that is.

Most states require NSF Standard 50 certification for filter media to be used in a commercial application. Passing the performance tests for NSF Standard 50 means that NSF certifies that the media actually works and is non-hazardous.

Eco-smarte's media is coarser and does not meet the NSF performance standards.

CYA doesn't really show up until around 20ppm. If you had CYA in the pool before, only add enough to increase it 20ppm to start off. If it is a completely fresh fill, go ahead and add enough for 30 to 40 ppm. Your PSI will vary by pool, ask your mom what speed setting 10 PSI is normal for. If your pool is crystal clear, your chemicals are balanced, you're not losing more than 1ppm chlorine overnight, DE isn't dumping in the pool, your filter PSI and return flow is normal for the speed setting you're on, and you don't have a lot of air in your pump basket causing it to shoot out your return jets, then it's pretty safe to say everything is running like it should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.